Help please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5ghz Intel Core i5 Ivy Bridge, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000, 13inch Retina
Hello everyone,

This is my first post ever on this forum so I am not sure if this is in the write place.

ok so here is my story:

I was updating my mac book pro (2009) with an update to the operating system. It was all fine until it had a little sliver of the update bar left and it says "writing package receipts". Normally I wouldn't worry if the end of a software update would take a little longer except it has been stuck on the same thing for the last hour and a half and I don't want to just power off since it is updating the whole OS.

Any ideas?

thanks,
ljbaumer

P.S. please tell me if I posted this in the wrong section

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Which software update is it?

OP
ljbaumer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5ghz Intel Core i5 Ivy Bridge, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000, 13inch Retina
I already had snow leopard and I think it was just some maintinence update, it wasn't anything major. It was 10.6._____

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OP
ljbaumer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, just quit (force quit the installer).
Now reboot and go to Mac OS X v10.6.5 Update (Combo) and install it.

it's not something I can force close, it just shows a status bar in the middle of the screen with a wallpaper behind it, I can't enter the force close command. Should I just reboot it?

EDIT: never mind this post i will just force quit and reboot
thanks for all of the help, I will post if it works a bit later tonight,
ljbaumer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let me get back to you.... I have a time machine backup, so I will install the update again, and work out how to do it, and the effects and come back once I am done.

Just sit tight as I have to download it and let the installation get the the writing package receipts part.

OP
ljbaumer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow thanks a lot!

I powered off the computer and now it is all normal again. Do you want me too just download the update? Cause how would I install it after that?

Thanks,
ljbaumer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, you're not updating your software, but you are upgrading!

Reboot with the install disc in the machine and follow this procedure:

-Boot from the install disc holding C while booting until you see the spinning gear.
-Select language and click continue.
-Select utilities>disk utility in the menu bar (this takes a few seconds to appear).
-Select the HD at the top of the list on the left.
-Click erase tab.
-Format Mac Os Extended (Journaled).
-Name Macintosh HD.
-Click erase.
-Quit disk utility menu, and continue with installation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, you're back to your Mac.

You can ignore clean install instructions in my post above this now......

Now, go to that link I gave you in post #4, and download that.
It will give you a disk image on your desktop.
Double click on that.
It will then put and installer on the desktop.
Double click on that.
A finder window will open with an installer package, double click on that.
Follow the prompts from there :)

OP
ljbaumer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so I am back and it is all set up. I didn't have to do the manual install using the download you gave me in post #4 because I checked under system preferences and it says that there is no new software and that it is already on 10.6.5. I was surprised when I saw that the update actually worked even though I had to force the computer's power off, but it works so I'm fine.

My one final question is, why would I do the manual update instead of just checking for a software update in system preferences?

Thank you for all of your help,
Ljbaumer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Major updates are much better downloaded directly from the Apple web site. They are larger as they contain everything in the update for all model machines. Selecting Software Update just picks and chooses what your computer needs, a MacBook would download different information to an iMac and a Mac Pro, and at times misses little pieces of the update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aussie tag team :)

OP
ljbaumer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
K cool, computer is back to normal and I don't have to fret around trying to fix it!

Can't thank u enough,
ljbaumer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.