Running one MacPro off another

Reaction score
The situation is as follows: Currently own a 2006 MacPro & anticipate arrival of 2010 MacPro shortly.

Question is: How can I configure these so that every time I boot up 2010 machine, the 2006 machine automatically appears as device on my desktop. I know that if I boot one with cmd + T followed by booting second machine I can do this but that would be a PIA to do on a daily basis. Thoughts?

thanks in advance
stefan

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are you planning to set up a home network? If so enable file sharing on the 2006 machine (in the Sharing preference pane). This will allow it to how up as a shared place in the sidebar of a Finder's window.

If you choose to enable screen sharing you can see and interact with the 2006 machine in a window on the other mac and interact with the older machine just as if you were sitting in front of it. This article is for Leopard but I think you will get the idea. Tutorial: Screen Sharing in Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5): How it works and how it doesn't | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

OP
S
Reaction score
I already have home/screen sharing established for my computers & its fine for the occasional use but far too laggardly for everyday use. Ideally, what I would like is a direct firewire connection between the two desktops, with one being the slave of the other. That way I can access my 30 mb TIFF files (on the old computer) & process on the new one without having to replicate my entire library onto the new MacPRo.

Is this doable?

thanks
stefan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.