iPhoto database update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2.6 MHZ 250 GB HDD
Hi,

iPhoto did an automatic update to itself and now when I open it it tries to upgrade the database but it crashes. Anyone have this issue or know of how to fix it?

C

chas_m

Launch iPhoto with the option and command keys held down. A menu of repair options will appear. Pick a few, see if that solves the problem (particular the last option), if that doesn't work try it again with the other options.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi chas_m,

That didn't work. I tried several options, but the first thing it does is check for updates and that's where it hangs.

C

chas_m

Uninstall iPhoto and reinstall it from your iLife or software restore disc. If that doesn't work, I'd call Apple.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chas_m,

Would all my photos be deleted when I uninstall iPhoto or would that be saved?

C

chas_m

Photos are kept in a separate folder called iPhoto Library and should not be affected by uninstalling/reinstalling iPhoto, but of course you would be wise to back up the iPhoto Library file (it's actually a package) or heck, the entire Pictures folder to be on the safe side. Just drag the entire folder onto an external drive, wait a while for it to copy everything over, then proceed.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That worked. Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.