15" MBP problems for past 6 months. Please help.

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I bought my 15" 2.44 ghz i5 MBP about 6 months ago and noticed it was running quite slow. I have never been very computer savvy and had nothing to compare it to until just recently my friend bought the 13" C2D 2.66 ghz MBP. Mine is running much slower and scoring 51 on Xbench while his is scoring 170. My fan is constantly on and it struggles to load up videos and programs. It's just slow in general. I had it wiped because Kernel task was taking up 270% of my CPU usage and it's still slow. So I took it to Best Buy and they are telling me that it's running fine and the fan is supposed to be always on. Any advice on what I should tell them? Are the 2.44 i5 just slower than the 2.66 core 2 duos? It starts up and stays at good speed for about 15 seconds after sleep then gets slower, any advice on this? Your help is very much appreciate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
How about you take it to an Apple store? I'm sure they might be able to give you more help than BestBuy!

OP
K
Reaction score
I went to the Apple store and they restored it to it's original state. This didn't do much. They thought the problem was Kernel_task and got rid of it, but it still runs slowly. Also I bought it from Best Buy and have my warranty with them, but I'll try the Apple store again if Best Buy fails.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Regardless of where you bought it, your original computer warranty lies with Apple. I would highly advise you do something at the Apple store before messing with bestbuy, unless they just give you a new computer...but it's bestbuy...so that chance is slim to none. Did they rule out a bad hard drive? Did they check the ram? Can't really see what else it could be since they reinstalled the OS.

OP
K
Reaction score
Regardless of where you bought it, your original computer warranty lies with Apple. I would highly advise you do something at the Apple store before messing with bestbuy, unless they just give you a new computer...but it's bestbuy...so that chance is slim to none. Did they rule out a bad hard drive? Did they check the ram? Can't really see what else it could be since they reinstalled the OS.

They told me they ran Onyx and did some tests and it runs fine (Which it does not at all) And that my fan is supposed to be running all the time. It's there with them right now so when they give it back to me I'll go to the Apple Store. Is the 2.66 core 2 duo supposed to be faster than the 2.44 i5 and are the fans supposed to be on all the time? I'm not really great with computers and want some other people's input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The i5 is faster, and the x bench test can be inaccurate.
Yes, the fans are on all the time.

xbench results today:
Test 1 Score 51
Test 2 Score 159.59
Test 3 Score 160.64

These results are with a stock 2.4 GHz i5 MBP with 4GB RAM and 320GB 5400 RPM HD with 280GB unused space.

OP
K
Reaction score
The i5 is faster, and the x bench test can be inaccurate.
Yes, the fans are on all the time.

xbench results today:
Test 1 Score 51
Test 2 Score 159.59
Test 3 Score 160.64

These results are with a stock 2.4 GHz i5 MBP with 4GB RAM and 320GB 5400 RPM HD with 280GB unused space.

My 2.4 ghz i5 MBP is noticeably slower than his 2.66 C2D constantly and his fans are never running. Is that the difference between the 15" and the 13"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Fans are always running.... maybe you can't hear them in his, but they are still running at somewhere around 1800-2000 rpm (min speed).

If you are noticing major slow operation, and if your HD isn't near full, you could always try booting from your install disc holding C, going to utilities>disk utility in the menu bar after you select the language, and verify and repair your HD.

You could also boot from the install disk holding D and run an extended Apple Hardware Test.

If all is ok, and you are still not happy, I would make that appointment with Apple Genius Bar.

OP
K
Reaction score
I made an appointment with the genius bar and the just restored it to it's original settings and wiped everything. I'll try again though, thank you for your help :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Hold up? I thought you said you didn't have it? How did you restore it when you said, "It's there with them right now so when they give it back to me I'll go to the Apple Store?"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.