About Skype webcam

Reaction score
So I'm pretty new to the Mac platform and am not completely sure how to fully use everything just yet. I skype call my girlfriend frequently, and when I do screen sharing, she can cancel out my screen share and turn my camera right back on. I'm not entirely sure how she does this, but it would be cool to know. Anyone have any idea. Both of us are running OS X 10.6.5 on MacBook Pro's.

Reaction score
I imagine the only thing that is happening is that she is switching her video on and off using the video button on the left hand side of your call screen. So when her's powers up, yours does too. Otherwise you have audio to audio. Push the video button, and wow, yes video does turn on. You can practice doing this in your skype preferences.

OP
Chadwixx
Reaction score
Nahh her camera stays on the entire time without turning off. I don't see why my video would turn on just because hers turns on. Mine isn't set up to do that, it is only set up to turn on when I turn it on.

Reaction score
Well perhaps someone else may have an answer.

I skype with a friend in Ireland and when his powers on, it triggers mine. I get a dialogue box that says my camera isn't available if I have my clamshell hooked to my cinema display without hooking in the external video I have for it. He'll power on his, and he display's. If I power on mine, he'll say no no no! if he's not in the video mood. I dunno, maybe there are reasons for it all.

OP
Chadwixx
Reaction score
Well alright then. Thanks for the reply! We will see if someone knows what is going on here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.