Singing MacBook - How to turn off voice?

Reaction score
My son has a white MacBook (OS X 10.5.8) that has started "singing". It basically sings with an electronic voice every action you do. If you click on File it sings File. If you open Mail, it sings Mail.

Some Apple menu items have also been doubled...Force Quit, Restart, Shut Down and Log Out have all been duplicated on the menu.

The keyboard sound volume controls have also been disabled.

There are other user accounts on the computer and none of them have been affected.

I looked at his login items and there isn't anything unusual in there.

Any ideas what this is and how to fix it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Any ideas what this is and how to fix it?

No it's not a virus!;)

What has more than likely happened is...somehow your computers "text to speech" or a "Universal Access" function has been turned on accidentally.

Go to:

- Apple menu
- System Preferences
- Speech
- click on "text to speech" tab
- then deselect any unwanted options

Or:

- Apple menu
- System Preferences
- Universal Access
- turn "Voiceover" to "Off"

HTH,

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
In Snow Leopard, that would be Universal Access - Seeing - Voice Over.

Edit: edited title also, since that would not help anyone else find it by searching

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you.

The first thing I checked was the text to speak and it was off. I didn't know that Universal access had this kind of voice, PLUS with the Apple menu duplicates and the sound disabled, I thought it was really strange....the "virus" comment was slightly "tongue in cheek"...sorry. :p

When we turn on the VoiceOver the menu does change and the volume keys are disabled. Just seems like strange behavior for this option.

Thank you again for the "that is easy" response! :Blushing:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.