EFI boot, no startup!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac, os x 10.4.11 (tiger)
Okay, just upgraded an old iMac, one of the white ones from around 2006, to snow leopard. I had to add extra ram but all went fine! For two days.... Now the mac wont start up... A message came up after it freezing for the first time since the update saying it had to be restarted. It was like a hardware/firmware update but it stays on the load screen. Sometimes the progress bar will advance, even as far as three quarters of the way up, and then it will either revert to zero or turn the mac off. I tried choosing the disc to boot up with and instead of Macintosh HD there was only EFI boot. So I put in the snow leopard install disc to try and boot from that... Nothing happened only a lot of whirring... It's rather important that it starts working again as all my work stuff is on it! My photos and music are on my iPod so I assume I can regain them if I have to get a new mac! Any advice on what to do? Anyone had the same problem and got it resolved? If so , how?
Thanks in advance!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Okay, just upgraded an old iMac, one of the white ones from around 2006, to snow leopard. I had to add extra ram but all went fine! For two days.... Now the mac wont start up... A message came up after it freezing for the first time since the update saying it had to be restarted. It was like a hardware/firmware update but it stays on the load screen. Sometimes the progress bar will advance, even as far as three quarters of the way up, and then it will either revert to zero or turn the mac off. I tried choosing the disc to boot up with and instead of Macintosh HD there was only EFI boot. So I put in the snow leopard install disc to try and boot from that... Nothing happened only a lot of whirring... It's rather important that it starts working again as all my work stuff is on it! My photos and music are on my iPod so I assume I can regain them if I have to get a new mac! Any advice on what to do? Anyone had the same problem and got it resolved? If so , how?
Thanks in advance!

First, make sure the Snow Leopard disc is completely clean with no scratches. Then, follow the steps below and let us know how you make out...

1. Turn the machine on, pop the Snow Leopard disc in.
2. Press and hold the power button until the machine turns off.
3. Turn back on and immediately press and hold the Option key.
4. Continue holding until you see the boot options selection screen (it may take 30 seconds +).
5. The disc may not appear at first, allow 5 minutes before assuming that it doesn't recognize the disc.

OP
serisin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac, os x 10.4.11 (tiger)
Tried that, that's when all the whirring started... Tried again today, and a grey screen popped up saying restart you iMac. Called apple support, was told it will have to be brought in to a store for repairs... And does anyone know if all my data can be retrieved? Also, if not, will I be able to get my pics and music off my iPod onto my new mac? thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.