PC cannot read my Mac files

Reaction score
I need to copy my files from my iMac via my hard drive (compatible with PC and Mac) onto a PC laptop (Windows 7). The PC laptop says it cannot open the files.

What is the trick how to convert the files easily? Do I need to install a special program on the PC?

On my iMac I also run VMware Fusion. When I drag a file from the Mac side onto the Windows side (Windows 7) and then try to copy it via the hard drive to the PC it still does not work.

Thanks for your advice! I have to get this to work within 4 days as I will travel then and need to use it for business.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Welcome aboard Mac-Forums

What kind of files are you talking about?

- Simon

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
When you say that Windows can not open them, are you saying that Office can not read these files or that Windows does not recognize the external hard drive? Office should have no problem reading those files.

You say that the HD is compatible with OS X and Windows. That may be the case (all HDs are compatible with both) but they need to be properly formatted to work across OSes. How is the external formatted (right-click > Get Info > Format)?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.