The Finder goes blue, then reloads, then repeats.

Reaction score
My friend is having me come over to look at his iMac, I think he is running Snow Leopard. When he starts the computer the Finder loads, then it returns to the light blue screen, then reloads the finder, and repeats this over and over. The mouse cursor can move, and sometimes the dock will pop up when the cursor is down there, but after a few seconds it always goes blue. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Suggest popping it into a Genius Bar, particularly if it is still under AppleCare warranty. You may have less knowledge than he.

OP
Z
Reaction score
I ran DiskWarrior, it found errors on the volume.

I ran DiskWarrior, it found errors on the volume. I think it may be fixed, but I found out he is running 10.4. I suggested he get a RAM upgrade and switch to Snow Leopard, as he is on a 1.8 GHz Intel chip and has 256k of Ram. It is an older iMac, out of warranty, although the Geniuses are usually willing to do troubleshooting on out of warranty macs. Thanks for the welcome! I have found MacForums to be very useful, lots of problems I have encountered have solutions on this site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
256MB of memory? Are you sure? Surprised it runs at all. Suggest increase memory to at least 2GB. DW will always find some errors, do a graph first and see what % of disk usgae is in error. Up to 10% not a lot to worry about and run DW twice.

As a suggestion update to OS X.4.11 at least and Snow Leopard is better by far, much speedier and much less of a hog of HDD space. Here is the link and it is over 320MB so trust he has ADSL:-

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_4_11_Combo_Update__Intel_

OP
Z
Reaction score
Yeah, I went to Crucial and did a scan, and an upgrade to 2GB is $50. When I ran DiskWarrior the error % was around 60. I thought that was quite a bit. I only ran DiskWarrior once, thanks for the tip. He had a brand new External HD sitting on his desk, and hadn't backed up any files... So I did a quick back-up of his home folder, and I'll set up Time Machine when he gets Snow Leopard. Thanks for the 10.4.11 link, that's going in the bookmark menu.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.