Macbook Pro Speaker Recommendation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz RAM, iPhone 4S
My brother has been wanting a nice set of speakers for his Macbook Pro and I was planning on getting him some for his birthday or christmas this year. Any recommendations, he will primarily be using them in his dorm room to watch movies and play music. Sorta want the most bang for my buck, thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
My brother has been wanting a nice set of speakers for his Macbook Pro and I was planning on getting him some for his birthday or christmas this year. Any recommendations, he will primarily be using them in his dorm room to watch movies and play music. Sorta want the most bang for my buck, thanks!

You should get him a nice set of cans instead of speakers so in case he listens to music some people around him don't like, he can be in his own world.

If you decide to go that route, here's a decent thread already started: Ideal college headphone - Head-Fi.org Community

Also check out the reviews on there.
And if you go with a set of cans, you might want to get a decent amp for them, cuz the onboard sound on laptops isn't that good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
MM-1? Those are simply overpriced for their name. $500? No, definitely not the best for that price range. They are a HUGE rip off...I'm utterly shocked how they can get so many reviews on it! Apparently, people don't know better... It's good because of what it can pack in a small package, not because its sound is in the 500 dollar range(which is actually overpriced and can be had for 350-400 new). Note: Since it has its own DAC, plugging it in via regular headphone jack will make the sound sound like any other speaker. If you you it, use it with DAC, or you just wasted a lot of money to get clear sound that you will never hear.

1.For that price range, the Logitech Z-5500 destroys it, while still being cheaper, having superb surround sound, and a very nice controller!
2.If you don't care about surround sound, get the "Klipsch Promedia 2.1." Have had one for so many years now...it's great and great bass that actually doesn't annoy you.
3. If you are on a budget, the "Logitech X540" is a nice set.

I have only experienced 3 setups that sounded better(better worded: overall better sounding package) out of the box than the Z-5500, and those were from Bang and Olufesn, HK, and Focal, but non of them were under $800.

I must say, the Klipsch that we have downstairs(the one I noted) packs a great punch with music, and comes with a very well made subwoofer.

You can't go wrong with any of them though...

Reaction score
I use the M-Audio AV40 for desktop recording and music playback. They are powered with plenty of volume for a small room and sound very natural. I found them for $120 on Amazon. A lotta bang for the buck. The only caveat is that they seem to be very influenced by speaker placement. Be prepared to move them around a bit to find the most natural sound. Give em a look.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.