clamshell iBook

Reaction score
I happened upon an old clamshell iBook - graphite colored, or whatever the color was called back in 2000.
myFamilyNo.: M2453

It lacks an airport card - I'm wondering if anybody here knows how I might go about connecting it to wi-fi.
It also seems to need a logic board... I called Apple, and they couldn't even find a part number - the man I spoke to thinks they don't make the parts for it anymore. I need this, and a battery... but clearly the logic board is more important.
I'm wondering if anybody here might know a) where I can get the parts and/or b) the cost, particularly of a logic board, for this beast?
and by beast i mean all 64 megs of ram. hah.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Your best bet for this kind of thing is eBay, unfortunately I doubt even long-running repair shops will carry any stock for this model. Also Apple no longer supports the product. Not too sure of the cost but search around i'm sure you'll be able to fix it up for around the £150 - £200 mark

- Simon

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It lacks an airport card - I'm wondering if anybody here knows how I might go about connecting it to wi-fi.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here. Either you purchase an Airport card, install it, and then network wirelessly. Or connect the laptop via ethernet cable to network.

It also seems to need a logic board... I called Apple, and they couldn't even find a part number - the man I spoke to thinks they don't make the parts for it anymore. I need this, and a battery... but clearly the logic board is more important.
I'm wondering if anybody here might know a) where I can get the parts and/or b) the cost, particularly of a logic board, for this beast?
and by beast i mean all 64 megs of ram. hah.

Not really worth it! Clamshell iBooks can sometimes be purchased on Craig's List or e-Bay for $50-$75 dollars (I actually bought one for $20 this past Summer). So paying for a logic board would clearly cost more than a fully operational working unit would cost.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here. Either you purchase an Airport card, install it, and then network wirelessly. Or connect the laptop via ethernet cable to network.

- Nick

I guess I meant anything that would work using the USB port, so that I don't have to open the whole laptop up.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I guess I meant anything that would work using the USB port, so that I don't have to open the whole laptop up.

Generally speaking...the USB wireless networking devices don't seem to work very well on Mac's. You can still try one...and see what success you have. But for the same money...you can get a used Airport card...which are not that hard to install.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Try ifixit.com. I have an old clamshell that I put an Airport card in years ago. I also replaced the hard drive and fixed a couple things. It's a bit of an endeavor to open it up, but ifixit has great step-by-step instructions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.