Macbook Pro slow with video and music

Reaction score
Hey there guys,

I have recently been having problems with the Macbook Pro, 13", 2.4 GHz, Snow Leopard, that I purchased in June '10. When I first got the notebook, everything was blazing fast and I was very happy with everything.

Recently, in the past couple of months, my Mac has been slow to respond to certain things:

1. when playing music/video in iTunes or Chrome, there is a 3-5 second lag before i can close or stop playback

2. Microsoft office 2007 also has lag. Sometimes when I type, it takes 5 seconds before the letters I typed actually show up!

I have done the following things to troubleshoot the problem:

1. Zapped the PRAM
2. Repaired disk permissions
3. Repaired disk from installation DVD
4. Updated software

I have the following applications installed, and wonder if they could be a source of the problem?

Nocturne (changes bar on top to black color), Appigo Sync, Dock Library (I have also changed the color of all the dock icons manually)

If someone could give me some tips, I would really appreciate it! This is my first Mac. I was a long-time PC user and was fairly adept at solving problems, but I don't really know much about the Mac OSX.

Thanks,
Leukocyte

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your reply. I will download the combo update and keep my fingers crossed. If it's not too much to ask, could you explain more about what OnyX is? Would I be treading on thin ice if I started altering things that I'm not exactly sure about? As I said before...not very competent in OSX compared to Windows.

Thanks Again!

OP
L
Reaction score
Well, I downloaded the Combo Update, but when I tried to install it, I got the message:

"Mac OS X Update Combined can't be installed on this disk. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update"

?? Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
2. Microsoft office 2007 also has lag. Sometimes when I type, it takes 5 seconds before the letters I typed actually show up!
I take it you're talking about Office 2008 which, when I used it (I have since upgraded to 2011) was quite slow. Having to wait once in a while for it to catch up wasn't frequent but it did happen enough (especially right after opening a document).

Nocturne (changes bar on top to black color), Appigo Sync, Dock Library (I have also changed the color of all the dock icons manually)
Not sure what those are but the software that changes things that shouldn't be changed (menu bar and certain dock icons) could be causing you issues. Remove those but do so properly (if it came with an uninstaller, use that).

OP
L
Reaction score
I installed the new combo update and downloaded Onyx. I used Onyx to clean out some of the cache files, etc. Overall, my notebook seems to be running better, but I can't really be sure until I use it for a few days.

For now though, thank you all for helping me out! I really appreciate it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.