• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How do I pack my imac for a move?

Reaction score
I have a late 2009 21 in imac. I saved the box as well as the inserts, but I'm not sure if the inserts are fully intact. I don't have any of that protective plastic stuff that went over the monitor. I would like to pack it back in the box, but I don't want to scratch the glass on the screen. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Personally I wouldn't worry about it too much...since I don't think that you'll have a problem (since you have the original box & inserts...and I don't think that the inserts will mar the display.

But just in case...(and you want to cover the iMac display with something before using the foam inserts)...try and find some cloth that's about the thickness of a men's underwear T-shirt, and cover the display.

In fact...since you have the smaller 21" iMac (and not the much larger 27")...you could probably just buy a pack of a larger size mens underwear T-shirt...and just slip it over your iMac without even modifying it (or maybe just cutting off the sleeves).:) Since this material is pretty thin...you could then slip the original foam inserts over the cloth T-Shirt...and then put the iMac into it's box.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
How far of a move is it? I'm thinking about having someone in the back seat of a car holding it in their lap...if you are too worried. Or stuff it back in the box with lots of newspaper.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Being an old government (now retired) employee, we have moved more times than I care to remember. We always hand carried the more delicate electronic items such as computers, stereo receivers, etc.

If possible, put the iMac in its original packing and hand carry it to your new location or as was suggested, put in the back seat of your car.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
or as was suggested, put in the back seat of your car.

And tie it down. Nothing worse then having to suddenly stop or take a sharp corner and have the mac fly all over the car.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
And tie it down. Nothing worse then having to suddenly stop or take a sharp corner and have the mac fly all over the car.

I've had this happen. Luckily I was just transporting a 10-15 year old Mac that I probably paid $10-$20 bucks for...and no damage was done (but could have). I DEFINITELY wouldn't want it to happen to a much newer & more valuable Mac!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
Put it in the seatbelt ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.