itunes help

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for a little help please.

If I have guests round for a party I want to be able to create a playlist (can do that), turn on full screen itunes visualizer (can do this) and then lock the screen so no one can get in to the rest of the operating system, i.e. it is locked on the visualizer. I know i could use a password protected screen saver or lock the screen using keychain, but this would stop people being able to change the track without logging in.

Is this possible? Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not a way to lock down everything except iTunes that I'm aware of. No way would I allow folks to have access to my computer (keyboard - drinks - food - all that) during a party anyway.

Think I'd maybe be looking at the Apple TV for that. Remote control access to your entire iTunes library and no access to the computer. Even just for a one time use - $100 insurance to protect the computer would be worth the possible cure afterwards.

OP
N
Reaction score
Yeah that could be an idea, i had intended to just use the wireless keyboard to avoid the issue of drinks being spilled in to the machine though.

Would still be nice if there was an option to lock on the visualizer.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
My first instinct would have been to create a "Guest" account but that seems to still allow more access than you want to allow. Have you thought about doing the following:
1. Create a new standard user account and make sure you do not give it administrator access.
2. Enable Parental controls then go to the "Tab and there is a setting there to allow you to choose which programs users of that account can access. Make sure to look at the check boxes at the bottom. They control issues such as CD burning
3. Check the other tabs as they control additional options. There is even a setting to allow access on certain days and times.

I haven't tested this fully so try it out well before the party. Also, After the party I would delete that account entirely.

One thing that I can't test at the moment is whether this arrangement would allow a user to delete something from your iTunes library. I am pretty sure they could delete the "pointer' that you click on in iTunes to play a song but I'm not sure whether they could delete the associated file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.