Cant watch my vids unless itunes is open?

Reaction score
My new Apple TV works great for everything but getting info from my own iMac. When I scroll to "computer" to watch my own videos or review pictures residing on my Mac the screen says ..... turn on Sharing. I have done this and the only time I can stream pics and vids to my Apple TV is when I physically have itunes open on my Mac. Surely this does not have to be the case. Do I really have to run downstairs turn on my Mac then run back up to watch vids and pics residing on my iMac. HELP!!!!!

OP
G
Reaction score
I have also selected "wake for network access" and it still doesn't help

OP
G
Reaction score
And .... it seems the only way to be able to access my Library is to have iTunes open. Can anyone tell me if this is the case with everyone else. On my original AppleTV I didnt think I had to open iTunes first before being able to access my Library!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yes, it is. The content is streamed from your iTunes library, it's designed to be that way. iTunes is the conduit that access the media on the drive(s) and streams it to the ATV. My Mac is on and iTunes is always open so I never have this issue.

On the original ATV you could copy content to the internal ATV HDD and watch it from there. The ATV 2 has no internal storage so it all streams. No iTunes, no content.

Frankly, it sounds like you should have done some research before purchasing an ATV 2. This is neither a big deal or a surprise, it is as designed.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I don't have an ATV, but I do use HomeSharing with my Win7 machine and iTunes is open (and minimized) if my Mac is turned on. It's not a hog on CPU cycles or memory if it's not doing anything. Shouldn't be a problem leaving iTunes open all the time. No reason to run back downstairs, if it's never closed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3 Ghz i3 iMac, Macbook Pro, Old G5, iPhone, iPad, and a drawer of iPods
the ATV 2 has to have several Gb's of flash memory. At least to cache.

But, yeah. Just leave iTunes going. Right click the iTunes icon, set to "Open at Login".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Yep iTunes does have to be open, it's not like iTunes is actually playing anything so it's not using a big amount of CPU time.

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.