Acomdata 160GB External, Can't copy 100s of files at once???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Ti PB G4 867MHz 1GB RAM 10.4.6
I bought a 160GB external Acomdata HD.

Plug and play, no CD, just use it.

I dragged the "My documents" folder and all was copying fine, until I get an error.

It can't copy files with ? question marks.
It can't copy files that have the word icon in them, especially OSX icons.

I tired to copy the music folder, it was going well until the ? question mark in a song filename came up, and it shuts the ENTIRE transfer off.

What gives, I pay $150 and this thing can't do what it is supposed to do?

Is asking a 160GB drive to accept 40GB of stuff really too much?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Rev. A G5 iMac w/1 GB RAM
FAT32 Problem?

According to the ACOMDATA website (http://www.acomdata.com/hdp/fs.html), the drive comes formatted FAT32. I suspect the inability to copy the files you mentioned is a FAT32 limitation. Personally, I would format the drive MACOS Extended. Afterwards, try copying the same files and see if it is a problem.

OP
GT5.0
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Ti PB G4 867MHz 1GB RAM 10.4.6
Yea, I read that also, but I want to keep it 32 compatible becuae all my buddies and parents still use XP Pro.

No sweat, I just took a while loading all of my music, and photo files in chunks of 20 or so.

2000 pictures, and 1800 songs took a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
you could of used automater to rename all the files with ? marks in them... sorry i was a little late, haven't been on the boars lately..

Reaction score
I just bought the same drive and have same problems. Many folders will be almost copied and then...STOP. Will stop copying files because of some problems.

How do I use Automator to rename files with the question mark?

thanx

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.