Decisions decisions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5(Mine) and Wife's Imac intel,(new)
I'm out of contract with Verizon so no problem switching So here is my issue. I really do not need to switch or really need a smart phone, well maybe LOL.
I was at a Apple store looking at the new I POd touch for a mini do it all communications device for travel. I meet a knowledgeable employed, yes a rare one(some are really good). After listening to me, yes I did say he listened to me, he said why not upgrade to the I Phone, it will do the same thing as the Ipod touch only much more, and the expense is minor and for my use I need only the basic plan for Megabits.

Opinion, since the price of a I phone 16 is less than the i pod touch 32 is it really worth it to go to the I phone over the I pod touch. Will the I phone do exactly or more than the I pod touch?
Money is not really the issue but part of the decision.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
Excuse me for highlighting the obvious, but the biggest plus for the iPhone is that you will not have to carry two devices i.e. iPod Touch and your Cell Phone.

That alone was enough for me.

DavidH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Your description of the Apple Store employee seems to be what I have regularly encountered at said stores across the US. Most of them are actually good at what they do and most of them listen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I'm out of contract with Verizon so no problem switching So here is my issue. I really do not need to switch or really need a smart phone, well maybe LOL.
I was at a Apple store looking at the new I POd touch for a mini do it all communications device for travel. I meet a knowledgeable employed, yes a rare one(some are really good). After listening to me, yes I did say he listened to me, he said why not upgrade to the I Phone, it will do the same thing as the Ipod touch only much more, and the expense is minor and for my use I need only the basic plan for Megabits.

Opinion, since the price of a I phone 16 is less than the i pod touch 32 is it really worth it to go to the I phone over the I pod touch. Will the I phone do exactly or more than the I pod touch?
Money is not really the issue but part of the decision.

The iPod touch is a neat device. If you don't need a smart phone then an iPod Touch might be a nice device to have for music and photos and all of the many apps.

An iPod Touch is limited by it's network connectivity options. As a 'mini do it all communications' tool, you need to remember that the all will be limited to the wifi enabled areas that you can get access to.

There lies the iPhones advantage; you get to use the cell networks as well, it gives you a much wider net to cast in terms of places you are going to be able to use it.

To look at the advantages of an iPhone over an iPod I would consider:

One device does all (Jack of all trades (master of none))
More communications options (mms, sms, voice) than the iPod Touch
More opportunities to use the communication options (thanks to your cell network)

As disadvantages:

That pesky data plan - if you don't need it, why pay for it?
Tied to a cell contract?
Less storage for your cash, maybe you do need 32GB of personal data?
A little heavier
A bit chunkier <-technical term right there :p
Battery life isn't as good due to it's extra radios

Ultimately it comes down to personal choice.

For me, I needed the phone more than everything else it did, the fact that it did everything else just meant I could consolidate a couple of devices and I'll admit, I was sucked into the 'coolness' factor of the iPhone back when I got my first one.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5(Mine) and Wife's Imac intel,(new)
Thanks for the opinions

Thanks, for the opinions, when you are on the boarder/fense of what to buy they are helpful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.