Macbook's fan has been loud

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
The fan inside my MacBook has been spinning loudly the past two days. Everything is running OK: I've rebooted and closed memory-hogging apps, but I just want to see if there's anything I can do to stop the fan being so loud. last time this happened my hard drive crashed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'm hesitant in responding, but perhaps your fan is dirty ...as your macbook is 2-3yrs old.
This guide is for changing fan, but shows you how to get to it so that you can clean it.
Installing MacBook Core 2 Duo Fan - iFixit

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm thinking dirty fan or worn out fan (fan bearing gone bad). Either way...you got to get in there to clean or replace the fan.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I take it to the Apple Store, would they clean it for free? Or should I do it myself?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
If I take it to the Apple Store, would they clean it for free? Or should I do it myself?

They would charge you probably about an hour labour charge, assuming that a dirty fan is all it was!

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone know how much they charger per hour?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In Oz it's something like $75 and hour... I don't know what it is where you are, and if the labour cost would be all that is involved.
Seeing that you have had many problems with your Mac, and based on your not responding to all the other threads that you have started, I really have no idea where you are with things, and therefore, no idea what is actually wrong with your Mac, what is needed to fix it, and how long it would take.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

To clean it properly & effectively...the laptop needs to be opened up. I'm guessing this may be more than the Apple Store would be willing to do for free...especially this time of year when the stores are so busy with holiday shoppers.

Like "6string" mentioned...I also think that they would probably charge you something like 1 hour labor to do it...and that something in the neighborhood of $75 should be expected.

But the best thing to do is give your local Apple Store a call...and see what they say.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Ok going to chime in here. I'm had a problem just like this where I thought it was my fan, but it was actually my HD spinning faster that was making the noise. Are you sure it's your fan & and not your HD making the noise?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you checked your fan if it is dirty or not? have you clean your MB before after purchasing it? well we need to clean sch gadgets at least once in every 3 months

Are you reading the threads, and are you just making it up as you are going along?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you reading the threads, and are you just making it up as you are going along?

I was thinking the same thing!;) Nothing like repeating mostly everything that has already been suggested.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.