Learning OS X

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I recently purchased an ibook G4 with OS X 10.5.7 installed and have since found out I cannot upgrade to Snow Leopard due to hardware incompatibilities.

Now, I bought the laptop to learn everything I can about OS X as I am an IT professional and wish to further my knowledge of OS X (So far I've only had to deal with Windows and Linux distros).

Will learning about OS X by using OS X 10.5.7 be enough to grasp a firm understanding of the inner workings of a Mac OS?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Will learning about OS X by using OS X 10.5.7 be enough to grasp a firm understanding of the inner workings of a Mac OS?

Technically speaking...you can upgrade to OS 10.5.8 for free via "Software Update".

Otherwise (IMHO) you can learn quite a bit about OS X from OS 10.5.8. There really aren't "TONS" of differences from the latest OS of 10.6.5.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OP
Ants473
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys! I'll be sure to check out those two links too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Welcome Ants and to answer in short Yes it will be ... Dont know if you have your sources but just a few to get you started ...

Mac Switching 101
Mac 101
MacTricksAndTips ~ 100 Essential Mac Apps
Mac OS Keyboard Shortcuts
Mac OS Menu Bar Items
[URL="Mac downloads ~ Apple"]Mac downloads ~ Apple[/URL]

So there is a bit of reading there. As i goes for Apps we dont know what you are into, but ill list a few that most people have and you can look them up in the 100 Essential Apps URL i gave ...

Adium ~ Chat Client
Growl Notifications
SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner ~ Both make bootable copies of your HD
HandBrake ~ Video Converting
Burn ~ As it says A Burning App
Transmission ~ p2p client
Skitch ~ Screen capture and more
VLC ~ Video player that plays most codecs and does a lot more
Perian and Flip4Mac Makes watching certain codecs easier ... This is Essential IMHO
Audacity ~ Play with Music App
CandyBar ~ Mods all your icons, and dock
MainMenu or Oynx ~ Does the same as Disk utility only more thorough
Quicksilver ~ Works like Spotlight but way way better and does so much more
StuffitExpander ~ Opens Zip and rar files and more
Lil Snitch ~ Firewall type App that looks at your incoming and outgoing traffic
and last but certainly not least .....
AppTrap ~ Once installed it sits in System Preferences and deletes all associated files of anything that you put in the trash ...

Should keep you busy for a while lol
Hope it helps some

Cheers

Reaction score
I've had Mac for 25 years, and just upgraded to a new MBP and the latest OS, 10.6.4

Was running 10.5, and it's fine and you can learn a lot for sure. But I really like the upgrades in 10.6, particularly with the one button trackpad on the Macbooks and the options it offers—tapping, swipping... Love how fast I can compute and surf now, really feel this was one of the best Mac upgrades ever...

(more than ever, I really wonder how PC users can use those Windows mouses and pads with multiple buttons and and scroll wheels...?!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Technically speaking...you can upgrade to OS 10.5.8 for free via "Software Update".

Otherwise (IMHO) you can learn quite a bit about OS X from OS 10.5.8. There really aren't "TONS" of differences from the latest OS of 10.6.5.

- Nick

Except probably everything an IT professional should know about, like the underlying tech upgrades! Granted you don't really witness them in action, so yea, you can learn enough, though really you should have gone with an intel mac so you could use snow leopard, and I'm surprised as an "IT Professional" you weren't aware that the older powerPC chips wouldn't run the newest OS...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...though really you should have gone with an intel mac so you could use snow leopard...

Yes this probably would have been the better route if the OP was really focused on learning OS X. Maybe the OP came across this G4 iBook really cheap...and is taking a more casual low-cost approach.

Just a thought,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
As a 2 year Mac convert, Leopard is perfect to start out with. Imho... I still haven't found much of a reason to switch to Snow Leopard yet though its only $29.
OS 10.5.8 is still perfect for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
T
(IMHO) you can learn quite a bit about OS X from OS 10.5.8. There really aren't "TONS" of differences from the latest OS of 10.6.5.
10.6 was a "minor upgrade" to OSX. Apple concentrated on efficiency and performance, rather than adding a bunch of new features. So 10.5 and 10.6 are very similar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.6 was a "minor upgrade" to OSX. Apple concentrated on efficiency and performance, rather than adding a bunch of new features. So 10.5 and 10.6 are very similar.

10.6 was a major upgrade in terms of performance. This computer with Leopard on it was much slower than this computer with 10.6 - it's been a noticable difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Apple concentrated on efficiency and performance, rather than adding a bunch of new features. So 10.5 and 10.6 are very similar.
I agree with this ........ BUT

10.6 was a major upgrade in terms of performance. This computer with Leopard on it was much slower than this computer with 10.6 - it's been a noticable difference.

I agree more with this. When i had my White MB and i upgraded from X.5 to X.6 the system performance difference was so utterly noticeable ........
I would have payed 5x more for SL if i had of known it had that much better performance than Leopard .....

OP
Ants473
Reaction score
Except probably everything an IT professional should know about, like the underlying tech upgrades! Granted you don't really witness them in action, so yea, you can learn enough, though really you should have gone with an intel mac so you could use snow leopard, and I'm surprised as an "IT Professional" you weren't aware that the older powerPC chips wouldn't run the newest OS...

Thanks for your post. I'm a little confused as to what part of my question was puzzling. I had already made known that I wish to "further my knowledge of OS X (So far I've only had to deal with Windows and Linux distros)."

I've had NO experience on them. I am purely in this to learn. At present my job does not require extensive knowledge of OS X, so I decided to go cheap and pick up a iBook G4 for $300.

Anyway, again, thanks everyone for the advice, I'll be sure to pop back into the forums if I need any more help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I meant "minor upgrade" only in reference to new features. Apple apparently agrees; look at the price. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hear ya, but research, my friend! Research!

Actually, 300 bucks is a nice pick up, though. Definitely will help ya learn a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 5.2, Mac OS X, Ver. 10.6.3, 2.13GHz Single Processor, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GBs 800MHz DDR2
Hello Folks

This is my first post as I joined up this am. In our home we have a wireless network inhabited by a couple of windows boxes and a Mac book that my wife uses at work and at home. I have been using windows for about 12 years and people in our family ask me for help occasionally with simple problems. I am happy to help.

My wife had a few issues with the mac book and asked me to help. I don't have a lot of experience with apple/mac so I used Google to find this web site and have spent the better part of this day lurking and navigating the site. I found this thread and the links posted for mac help and the Mac light bulb is already beginning to burn a little brighter. I have been browsing the mac tutes at the provided links.

I am repping 6string and TattooedMac for the links to the Mac tutorials. They are already helping me to understand the mac Operating System.

Thanks very much!
ranger72 :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I am repping 6string and TattooedMac for the links to the Mac tutorials. They are already helping me to understand the mac Operating System.

Muchly appreciated ranger. Glad we could help (im sure i speak for 6string as well)
Remember though if you have any specific questions find the right sub-forum and be sure to ask away. Is why we are here lol

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 5.2, Mac OS X, Ver. 10.6.3, 2.13GHz Single Processor, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GBs 800MHz DDR2
Thank you; I will.

I have just finished reading the reputation link and I think I found that my repping won't count until I have more time and posts on the board.

My heart was in the right place. It will come in time.:Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Thank you; I will.

I have just finished reading the reputation link and I think I found that my repping won't count until I have more time and posts on the board.

My heart was in the right place. It will come in time.:Oops:

The appreciation counts as thanks enough :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Muchly appreciated ranger. Glad we could help (im sure i speak for 6string as well)
Remember though if you have any specific questions find the right sub-forum and be sure to ask away. Is why we are here lol

Cheers

At least why the veterans are here! The more you learn from the great minds here, the longer you stay and more you want to help out in the future!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.