Can no longer burn DVD's

Reaction score
and I tried to burn the first of these backup folders onto a DL DVD (I had no problems with DL burning a couple of days ago) but now I got this error (see attachment).

How do I fix the burning issue?

Thanks.

disc backup problem.jpg

OP
AlienBZ
Reaction score
I deleted what I wrote about the burning issue in that thread and put it in this thread, so really, I don't think I'm cross-posting. I thought everyone was ignoring that post and that I'd get a quicker solution in this post/thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The problem maybe with the brand of media you are using, or more likely the optical drive is failing, particularly if using a laptop or iMac model.

OP
AlienBZ
Reaction score
The problem maybe with the brand of media you are using, or more likely the optical drive is failing, particularly if using a laptop or iMac model.

I've always burned "Memorex" DVD's with no problem in my MBP. Will I have to take it to the Genius Bar to replace the optical drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Will I have to take it to the Genius Bar to replace the optical drive?

Yes, if you think that it is the DVD drive and don't want to replace it yourself. The Genius Bar may also be able to tell you if the drive really is failing.

No, if you want to replace it yourself. This would involve opening up the MBP, buying a replacement and then reassembling everything.
Guides for take apart are here, Mac Parts - iFixit

Parts, Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC

OP
AlienBZ
Reaction score
No, if you want to replace it yourself. This would involve opening up the MBP, buying a replacement and then reassembling everything.

If the drive is really failing, I'd like to learn how to check to see if it's failing and learn how to replace it myself.

Is there any way that I can tell check myself to see if the optical drive is really failing?

If my drive is really failing, then I'd like to order a MBP CD/DVD/Blue Ray optical drive and replace it myself.

EDIT - I tried a PRAM reset, tried another disc, wasted it. In total, that's 3 discs I wasted.

OP
AlienBZ
Reaction score
Am waiting for someone to get back to me, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
I doubt if the Apple Hardware test will detect anything if you run it, the only thing I can think of is trying to burn a different brand of DVD. If the drive burns the other brand of disk okay, then it probably is the disk brand thats causing problems.
Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

OP
AlienBZ
Reaction score
I made an app't to take my mac to the Genius Bar tomorrow afternoon. I have the 3 year insurance plan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That was always the best option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Memorex have never been a good brand for use in Macs. I don't know hwy, but I could never get them to work. While that probably isn't the issue here, I would recommend you use better media in future. Imation or Verbatim are the best in my experience.

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem.

I'm having the same problem.

First started happening last week when I tried to but a copy of a file that 2GB. Then last night I tried to burn an iso image and that too failed. However, I was able to burn a smaller iso image to CD.

Could this also be hardware specific or did some security patch get installed that broke the process????

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G'day and welcome to the forums Mike.

Who knows? May help if you provide Mac and OS details. However as a suggestion try using a CD cleaning disc and cross your fingers. If you are using a machine with a laptop sized optical drive be prepared for bad news as they seem to have a much higher failure rate than desktop optical drives.

Might be something to do with the minaturisation?

Reaction score
G'day and welcome to the forums Mike.

Who knows? May help if you provide Mac and OS details.

Hey Harry

I have a 24in iMac (mid-2007) running mac os x 10.5.8... This problem started happening right after the last security update from about 2 weeks ago. Like I said earlier, I'm able to burn CDs but not DVDs. At least not files over 1GB in size. This is too weird! Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try downloading the OS X.5.8 combo updater and run it to see if there is an improvement. Did you try the disc cleaner and as tipped is a laptop style of opitacal drive in the iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
new Imac 24' screen 2.66ghz intel 4 gb memory
Guys
I seem to be having similar issues but only with DVD when i write to CD its fine , when i try and write to DVD just get the message 'unexplained error has occurred' i am using the same discs i have always used and i have tried about 5 different dvd programs and still errors any ideas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Again try disc cleaner and ahh the joys of MB, Minis and iMacs! Struth they do seem to have enormous optical drive problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.