Keyboard imprint on new Macbook Pros?

Reaction score
When doing research into Macbooks, I read some instances of the keyboard making an impression on the screen. I also read that a lot of people use either a soft "cleaning"-type cloth or the thin styrofoam insert that came with the Macbook to prevent this from happening.

How common is this occurrence? Will an insert (like those mentioned) prevent it entirely? And does this occur only in older models, or the new Macbook Pros as well?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The rare instances of this happening that I have heard of is with the matte displays, when people have had them in bags with heavy books on the them!
In other words, with a little common sense when it comes to storage, this is not going to happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
This happens all the time on my macbook pro. Though, I take mine to school with me in a belkin bag along with some books. This impression happens due to the slim design, the screen being to close to the keys when closed, that a little pressure applied to the top causes the screen to touch the keys(when closed). I've gotten used to it though.

Inserting something will prevent it, but for me, remembering to put something there before closing it QUICKLY became a chore. Cleaning a glass screen is easy enough. Also, I notice it more when I've been using the mbp while eating(sandwiches/wraps). Don't eat sandwiches if you are too worried:)

OP
AJP24
Reaction score
Would a screen protector make any difference whatsoever? (Yes, I put in that little insert every time...it is habit now!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
Its going to happen, unless the designers recess the keyboard enough that it doesn't touch the screen when it is close, and something presses against it. Hard to do with the slim designs. The styrofoam works well for protection. The microfiber cloth gives the added bonus of having a handy cleaning cloth when you need it. Putting your MB in a quality sleeve, prior to putting it in your bag also makes a difference. I'm partial to Timbuk2 messenger bags to carry laptops, and even with their "loveglove" laptop compartments, I prefer to surround the laptop with an extra layer of protection... makes a pretty significant difference all around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I bought a couple of screen protective films for about $5 each on eBay. Works great. A bit tricky to put on for beginners. But if you do it right there should be no bubbles. If bubbles show up, don't panic, squeeze some of them out with a credit card. The rest will disappeared in several days maybe weeks, but they will go away. If positioned perfectly you can't tell there's a film on the screen. Good protection for $5 and a bit of work.

I bought 2 because I know I will screwed up on one of them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.