Any reason to upgrade iPod touch 2 to iOS 4.2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac Intel 2 GB OS 10.5.8, Powerbook sys 10,4.11, iPod Touch 2nd gen, OS4
MY 2nd generation touch is slow and has a short battery life but it's still fun. I like to have the latest since I enjoy playing with new Apps. I have upgraded to 3 and then 4.1 I found about 20% of my old apps didn't work, but now I can get lots of new ones to try out. (about 100) By the way I mostly read on it and usually use iBooks via Calibre.

Details: Computer iMac 2.4 GH Intel with 10.5.8
iPod T 2nd Gen OS 4.1 Disk: 11 GB available, 14.34 GB total

Actually I've got 3 questions:
1. Is it safe to update iTunes 10.1 ?
2. Is there any reason to upgrade my iOS to 4.2
3. Is there any way to increase battery life. I get about 2 hours of use instead of the rated 5 while reading.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
1. Yes.

2. Eventually all Apps will work with iOS 4 and this will be MUCH sooner than later assuming the App maker wants to keep it on the market. Eventually more Apps will lose their compatibility with iOS 3 and that will also be much sooner rather than later.

3. Probably but I don't know for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
Actually I've got 3 questions:
1. Is it safe to update iTunes 10.1 ?
2. Is there any reason to upgrade my iOS to 4.2
3. Is there any way to increase battery life. I get about 2 hours of use instead of the rated 5 while reading.

1) Yes.

2) While you can't do multi-tasking, you can still do folders.

3) Depending on the size of your iPod, it looks like it can cost anywhere from $59-79 to replace the battery.

Apple - Support - iPod - Repair pricing

If you decide to do this, BACK UP YOUR iPOD because they will not actually replace the battery in your iPod, but will replace it with another one, most likely a refurbished unit.

All quoted prices are in US dollars and require a shipping fee of $6.95 if you arrange service online or by calling Apple Technical Support. All fees are subject to local tax. Replacement iPods may be new, used or refurbished.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
FWIW, I can report that after upgrading my 2nd-gen iPod Touch to iOS 4.2, nothing out of the ordinary has occurred. I can't tell any difference between iOS 4.2 and the previous version.

Reaction score
My question is similar to the OP.

I have a iPod Touch I won as a door prize at an Xmas party. It's running version 3.1.3, and it's not dramatically slower than my iPhone 4. I'm worried that if I upgrade to 4.2, it'll slow down the way my iPhone 3 did after iOS 4.0. Should I notice much a difference, or will the advantages to 4.2 outweigh any slowdown I'll experience?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.