MBP: losing sound connected to Cinema display?

Reaction score
Good morning,
I'm having an issue that I'm baffled with, and wonder if it's common...
I'm running a MBP through a Cinema display with a keyboard & mouse... I really love how well everything works (recent switcher), but I keep losing sound; I've found that what I need to do to correct this is to restart without the display, at which time sound comes back. Then I reconnect the display & things are fine...for a while...then the sound eventually stops again.

Has anyone else here seen this?
thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the sound is working OK without the Cinema display being attached, I would suspect the cable and/or the ADC adapter. You didn't mention which model MBP you have but I assume you're using an adapter from your video out port to the Cinema display.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Which display is it? There are known issues with sound on the new 27" displays.

OP
C
Reaction score
it's a new 27" display... odd that it's just fine for a time--sometimes days.
using 17" MBP, i5...

OP
C
Reaction score
ah, this completely went by me... hopefully they'll come up with something soon...thanks!

Reaction score
I have the same problem running the 27" display with my 13" MacBook pro. I find unplugging the display will fix the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.