Windows 7 Install via Bootcamp - No magic mouse

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a new mac user, just received a new 27" imac i7. Love the computer and am slowly getting up to speed with the mac operating system. Unfortunately, I will still need to use Windows for some applications for work.

Therefore, last night I tried to install Windows 7 via Boot Camp. I upgraded all software on my system, created the partition, and Windows started to install. I got to the screen where you need to approve the license agreement and discovered that I did not have mouse support. The system came with a wireless Bluetooth Magic Mouse. The keyboard partially worked but not the arrow keys so I could not get to the check box to approve the license agreement and move on with the install.

I contacted Apple support and said they have never come across this problem before. They suggested I try to use a usb mouse during the install and switch back to wireless after the install. I currently do not have usb mouse so thought I would see if anyone else has had this problem and has figured out how to solve using the Magic mouse (before I go out and buy a usb mouse).

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
Sorry, can't give you a good answer about the mouse..but, have you tried using the "tab" key on you keyboard to highlight the appropriate check box?

Best short term solution (IMO) = buy a cheap USB mouse.

OP
R
Reaction score
Yes, tried using the tab key. Unfortunately, won't get me to the check box.

What I find interesting is that no one else seems to have this problem when installing Windows 7 via Boot Camp. Why is my system so special?

I guess I will buy a usb mouse and may buy a usb keyboard at the same time. Probably would not hurt to have them around in case the wireless has problems...

Thanks for the reply.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I find it strange that Apple support replied the way they did. The BT drivers are not installed until Windows 7 is booted up and the Snow Leopard DVD is inserted for driver installation. When installing Windows via Boot Camp and you have a wireless keyboard and mouse, it's possible not to be able to use either or both until Windows is up and running and the drivers have been installed.

The solution is to use (temporarily) a USB keyboard and mouse during the installation. After Windows is installed and the drivers are installed, switch to BT. Once the keyboard and mouse are paired correctly in Windows 7, they'll work as they should from now on.

Reaction score
Yes, this is documented and I believe part of the boot camp instructions. You need USB keyboard and mouse support during the installation. Not to say that you and your system aren't "special" (aren't we all???) but this happens to everybody. :)

Cheers and glad you like your new Mac. Note that for most applications, you can run them alongside your Mac applications in a virtual machine (using VirtualBox from Sun, VM Ware Fusion or Parallels) and avoid a lot of the Boot Camp hassles (like the one you just experienced). There's more info in the stickies at the top of this forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
For all operating system installations, a wired keyboard and mouse are pretty much essential. Have had Mac Pros, iMacs, G5's and G4's refuse to install with BT kb and mouse.

OP
R
Reaction score
I got Boot Camp up and running last night after using a usb keyboard and mouse. Works great. Magic mouse took some extra time to get working even after installing the drivers but finally got it.

I went back to review the documentation for the Boot Camp installation and, sure enough, under the section titled "What You Need", it lists a usb keyboard and mouse. I know that I skipped that section because I just assumed I had what I neeeded. Bad assumption. Lesson learned = read ALL instructions.

Good to know that my Mac is not special!!

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. Absolutely love the iMac and look forward to going home and using the Mac after using a Windows PC all day at work. After using the Mac, Windows just seems - unsophisticated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting back. Have fun and visit often. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.