• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What Apple Should Do...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
They need to create a desktop between the Mac Mini and the Mac Pro.

There is an 1800 dollar difference between the two bottom line models which is really not acceptable.

The all in one computers are great for some people but others already own a keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

My "suggestion" (I guess you could call it) is to create a model that is in the $1,000 that includes a an i5-i7 processor and the 5670-5750 GPU. It would only include the tower - no keyboard, mouse, or monitor.

This could be a huge opening to people looking into switching to Macs, especially gamers (a big % of users).

Am I the only one that would be interested in this? An affordable *legit* Macintosh tower?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
iMac? Minus the tower...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You're not the only one. All of us old hardware enthusiasts would like to see it. But, not gonna happen.

They couldn't sell many all-in-one machines (iMacs) if they did that. That's bound to be a big reason they've been making the iMac as the primary desktop for all these years. Plus it would put them more in direct competition with all the othe PC manufacturers out there. And there goes the profit margin.

Just go check Dell's sales figures (and others) for their all-in-one boxes vs the stand alone box.

Don't ever see Apple entering an existing market without the belief that the device has some compelling reason that would cause folks to choose it over the competitors. What would that be with a regular old stand alone box? It'd also have their end users frustrated, because now there would be a box with standardized parts, but you still wouldn"t be able to go pick a part off the shelf because you would also need all the myriads of hardware manufacturers on board creating drivers for OS X. It'd be a nightmare.

C

chas_m

Here's a few reasons why it's quite unlikely that Apple will ever grant your wish:

1. Apple has no relationship with, and does not want a relationship with, the "tinkerer/modder" market. Yes, Mac Pros can be upgraded, but their price point and marketing is all about serious professionals who upgrade for business purposes, not hobbyists who are just trying to "hotrod" their Macs. Apple does not want those types of people as customers; they are very high-maintenance and low-profit.

2. A mini-tower mainly appeals to people who want a Mac Pro but are cheap. If they brought out such a mini-tower, the FIRST THING everyone on the planet would say is "but I can buy a similar Windows box / build my own box for (insert dramatically and unrealistically lower figure here)." Yeah, Apple really needs THAT grief ...

3. In point of fact, Apple has once before tried to bring out a mini-tower ... a compact but full-powered desktop computer that you could open up and fool with the innards. It was called the G4 Cube.

4. Apple believe the iMac is a vastly superior product and a vastly superior VALUE compared to a mini-tower, and they are correct.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I think another reason why they go all in one (imac) over a mini tower. Because their ethos is simplicity in design. Seriously with a wireless keyboard and mouse it's like 1 cable for your imac. The power cord.

It goes back to the early days of the internet Mac. Yeah I believe the i is for internet. Jobs and Co bragged with the imac you could get from new unopened imac box to surfing on the internet with your internet in under 10 mins. No anti virus or bloat trial ware to worry about. No individual parts to check and see if they're working (like you're always doing with a tower). It's really just plug and play. The ultimate in simplicity of design.

And it's a well known fact that there's not much Apple could do to make me not buy their products. I'm very loyal to them. But if they discontinued the imac and replaced it only with a mini tower, I'd almost not go back to Apple. I like all in ones. I have never own a computer screen. Cause all of my computers have been all in ones and came with a screen.

If the mini tower + screen cost the same as an imac I just might get one (if the imacs are discontinued ever). People with towers just forget, not everyone has a spare screen lying around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
So if you want to use a nice 30" screen or multiple monitors, you either have to buy a Mac Pro, a Macbook Pro which will run extremely hot and even shut down if you do so much as attempt to use anything that requires a graphics card, or go pretty much any Wintel setup that has a GPU that will support dual link DVI operation.

They lost my money on that one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
And how many people need a 30 inch monitor? All of the average users certainly do not. I'm on a 17 inch monitor now and it does the job just fine. And 27 inch of the imacs is close enough to 30 inch anyways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
So if you want to use a nice 30" screen or multiple monitors, you either have to buy a Mac Pro, a Macbook Pro

I think that's the point.

Your use case doesn't really apply to the average user and a power user with the need to multiple large monitors is going to need/want/be able to afford a higher end prosumer or pro machine.

Reaction score
I say there is nothing wrong with having a few extra keyboards and mice lying around. You never know.

As for slotting the $1800 price difference between the Mac mini and the Mac Pro…Apple's All-in-One iMac fits the bill.

That extra monitor does come in handy when you're trying to do things at once (like research a paper and at the same time type it up).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
It will never happen. The game will not change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Why would you want a tower that does less than the Mac Pro, when the mac mini has the ability to do so much from such a small package, for hundreds less? The mac mini is a great unit? Also, a $1000 dollar "tower" from them is probably not possible assuming it's as you described. To be honest, it would be nice for there to be one, but I'm not sure if there's a big enough reason for them to make one.

Reaction score
It really bother me, does anyone agree?

Well I bought myself a MacBook pro months ago to go along with my custom built gaming pc.

I ended up falling in love with the Mac OS software and the pure quality that it truly is. But now.... I want more >:)

I want an apple desktop with some pretty good graphics power. I don't need the fanciest graphics card.

Now I know theres the iMac but I don't want an all in one, I have my 32 inch monitor wall mounted above my desk, it would never work.

Than there's the Mac mini, for me...... Not enough power....

Mac pro.... Just no. Way too much power and too heavy on a 16 year olds wallet.

What bothers me is this, where the **** is the consumer desktop. I really don't see the iMac as a consumer desktop. Why isn't there a desktop that won't run me $2600 or isn't an all in one?

I love apple but I really don't get it...

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Mac for me is pretty much my every day computer. It's not my everything computer though.

If you game stick to your console and your Windows Gaming Rig. You will save yourself a lot of grief.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged duplicate threads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
And how many people need a 30 inch monitor? All of the average users certainly do not. I'm on a 17 inch monitor now and it does the job just fine. And 27 inch of the imacs is close enough to 30 inch anyways.

I know a lot of people that use dual monitors

I think that's the point.

Your use case doesn't really apply to the average user and a power user with the need to multiple large monitors is going to need/want/be able to afford a higher end prosumer or pro machine.

Gamers and such. Photographers (and not just pros, I know plenty of hobbyist), people that do music recording/production, general computer hobbyist, etc...

There's lots of people I know that use large and or multiple monitors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree Village Idiot. But for most tasks you don't need a dual monitor set up. It's just overkill.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
But for most tasks you don't need a dual monitor set up. It's just overkill.

It might be over kill but ; Why walk when you can crawl ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Here's a few reasons why it's quite unlikely that Apple will ever grant your wish:

1. Apple has no relationship with, and does not want a relationship with, the "tinkerer/modder" market. Yes, Mac Pros can be upgraded, but their price point and marketing is all about serious professionals who upgrade for business purposes, not hobbyists who are just trying to "hotrod" their Macs. Apple does not want those types of people as customers; they are very high-maintenance and low-profit.

2. A mini-tower mainly appeals to people who want a Mac Pro but are cheap. If they brought out such a mini-tower, the FIRST THING everyone on the planet would say is "but I can buy a similar Windows box / build my own box for (insert dramatically and unrealistically lower figure here)." Yeah, Apple really needs THAT grief ...

3. In point of fact, Apple has once before tried to bring out a mini-tower ... a compact but full-powered desktop computer that you could open up and fool with the innards. It was called the G4 Cube.

4. Apple believe the iMac is a vastly superior product and a vastly superior VALUE compared to a mini-tower, and they are correct.

Agreed on all points, except #3 I am going to point out that the G4 cube was the predecessor of the Mini. Not exactly a not enterprise level "Tower" like the OP is thinking of. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Well I bought myself a MacBook pro months ago to go along with my custom built gaming pc.

I ended up falling in love with the Mac OS software and the pure quality that it truly is. But now.... I want more >:)

I want an apple desktop with some pretty good graphics power. I don't need the fanciest graphics card.

Now I know theres the iMac but I don't want an all in one, I have my 32 inch monitor wall mounted above my desk, it would never work.

Than there's the Mac mini, for me...... Not enough power....

Mac pro.... Just no. Way too much power and too heavy on a 16 year olds wallet.

What bothers me is this, where the **** is the consumer desktop. I really don't see the iMac as a consumer desktop. Why isn't there a desktop that won't run me $2600 or isn't an all in one?

I love apple but I really don't get it...

That's because you're 16 and probably haven't thoroughly studied economics and business yet. You can run a mini display to DVI or whatever to your monitor wall. Move it up above the iMac display. Heck, the iMac probably has better resolution than your monitor wall anyway. Get the 1200 dollar one with the i3 and a decent ATI card.

I know a lot of people that use dual monitors

Gamers and such. Photographers (and not just pros, I know plenty of hobbyist), people that do music recording/production, general computer hobbyist, etc...

That's the one. Try running Logic on a laptop display and open up the mixer. It's a nightmare! Though, VI, the iMac display is plenty. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.