Just switched to mac, bootcamp question

Reaction score
so i just switched to mac got mre a 27 inch imac I7...

So i got my snow leopard installed easy... then ran the bootcamp utiliity and partioned my drive got win 7 proffessional 64 running, installed the bootcamp disc and did the drivers easy...

So heres where my problem lies after doing the bootcamp install anytime i switch to snow leopard it boots to a light blue screen and freezes...

Ive tried this process 3 times and same result....

Now in the windows 7 install i had to format the partition to ntfs did this cause it?

I need my win 7 partition for work but want snow leopard for home stuff...

Please help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like an incorrect driver is being loaded. The 27" iMac needs to have the mobile version of the video driver installed.

Try this: Boot to Windows 7 safe mode. You do that by holding down the F8 key on boot up. You'll see a DOS like black and white screen. Select safe mode and press enter. As soon as it boots to safe mode, go to the ATI web site and download the mobile video driver for your ATI card and install it. (Make sure you download the 64 bit driver.) Reboot Windows 7 and you should be OK.

And yes, Windows 7 must be installed to a NTFS drive. No other file system will work.

Let us know if this works. BTW, if you can't use the net from safe mode, you can try downloading the driver from Snow Leopard and then copy it to Windows 7. Boot to safe mode and install.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hector sledle

Sorry but just to clarify

My windows 7 works great all drivers in windows 7 works great...

but as soon as i switch my boot options whetehr it be in windows 7 bootcamp settings or with the option key at boot up to snow leopard...

I get the apple logo the loadding wheel and it proceeds to a light blue screen that just stalls and never loads anything, i even left it for a hour...

this is my problem i want both working in sync i cant use this machine with one or the other

Reaction score
Y use bootcamp. I put my win7 64 on virtualbox (vb is free) I'll only use win for those few things that osx wont run. With a vm you don't have to partition your hd

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm still a bit confused over your problem. Are you saying that you can not boot to Snow Leopard and that instead you're getting the Apple logo and blue screen and nothing else?

If that's true, it sounds like when you installed Windows 7 your OS X Snow Leopard partition was overwritten. Are you sure you formatted the correct partition when you installed Windows 7? If you overwrote Snow Leopard you will have to erase the hard drive and reinstall.

OP
T
Reaction score
Ok to clarify I need bootcamp as im a pc gamer and like my games i have bought as many titles as i can for mac but need bootcamp as a last resort....

And i formatted the bootcamp partition, and yes after i install windows i boot to a blue screen when I boot osx that is all ive done this process 4 times same result.....

So any ideas from anyone? And no i will not accept game in parells .etc

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Run this test for us: Reboot your machine, hold down the Option key as soon as you hear the chime. Keep holding it until the Apple Logo appears.

If the dual boot went well, you should have two icons on the screen; one showing your MacIntosh HD the other Windows allowing you to choose which to boot to.

Post back results.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.