Microsoft Mouse -> Macbook

Reaction score
Hi I just got my MacBook Pro and was all excited. From hat I've seen it's faster than my old desktop and it's so small!@ But I'm having one serious (yes SERIOUS) issue. The cord mouse with a red laser I had on my Windows was fine on there, but I switched it to the macbook and it ran all choppy. It sometimes just scrolled over something and slowed down or then it lags behind and flips out. I could barely control it so I bought a microsoft mouse 6000 which says it works on mac's. so i installed it and checked for hardware and did everything i could but it is having the same issue. i never feel like im in control of the mouse. :(

so this is the one non-user friendly issue im having. i know there is a trackpad but i am used to a mouse and im gaming also so it's hard to play online games that require a ton of clicking with a trackpad with only 1 click button

OP
E
Reaction score
from what i just saw though, the mouse doesn't lag that much on this page -EXCEPT when it scrolls over the little red interfaces on the screen

what is up with this.. is it really so stupid that it doesnt understand colors?!

OP
E
Reaction score
and i went to a website where it was streaming stuff and theres was ads all over and it barely registered the movements it just flipped out all over the place

its so frustrating sorry for the spam :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I don't know if it helps with 3rd party mice, but you can go into System Preferences on your Mac and adjust Tracking Speed, Scrolling Speed, and Double-Click Speed. But like I said, not sure if that will apply towards your mouse. I use a Logitech wireless mouse (with USB receiver) and it works just fine. Never had to adjust any settings or install any software.
Hope you get your mouse working. You really can use pretty much any brand mouse with your Mac.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Mice are mice. If it was working fine on the Windows machine, it should be OK on the Mac.

Now, the big difference is that the Mac does use a different acceleration curve than Windows does, and that throws a lot of people for a loop. But it's more of an annoyance type of thing than it is an "I can't control the pointer" issue.

Is it possible you're exaggerating the extent of the problem, or is it really that bad that it's actually useless? If it's just a matter of not having fine control of it, I'd recommend that you give Steermouse a try. It's a driver suite that gives you the ability to tweak the acceleration curve to your heart's content.

And if you're gaming, don't bother with Apple mice. You'll need two physical buttons for a lot of games. The Magic Mouse does right-click, but you have to take your pointer finger up before you click with your middle finger. That doesn't work well in games - a good example is the ice-climbing scene in Modern Warfare 2.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it seriously does go haywire sometimes sorry :p

And this is with two different mice? Or am I not understanding something?

Are you using it on a translucent or reflective surface by chance?

OP
E
Reaction score
The first mouse was a cord mouse and it was working bad, so I bought this one and it did the same thing. I scroll slowly up and it catches on images (maybe?) and then makes it all choppy till I move it away. Especially on a game like Runescape :(

And its been on a all black mousepad and a ones with patterns (both dont change it)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not just the speed, it's actually the way the mouse reacts the faster you move it. So, basically the relation between how fast the cursor moves as your hand physically moves faster (or slower).

Trying to think of an analogy... how about this....

You have a Corvette and VW Bug. You get in one and slowly depress the peddle and see how fast it gets to 60mph. Then, you get in the other and find that it reacts completely differently. They're both cars, but your input produces vastly different results. Does that make any kind of sense?

OP
E
Reaction score
I just tried getting on Runescape (don't hate :() and whenever I scrolled over something and I attempted to click, there was a second or two delay before a set of options comes up. It barely could scroll over anything either.. no idea why honestly sorry if I stumped you :\

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just tried getting on Runescape (don't hate :() and whenever I scrolled over something and I attempted to click, there was a second or two delay before a set of options comes up. It barely could scroll over anything either.. no idea why honestly sorry if I stumped you :\

Give the free trial of Steermouse a go. Tweak the acceleration settings a bit and see if you can make it more comfortable.

Mine is set like this and I find it mimics Windows perfectly with my Logitech mouse:

2010-12-02_2218.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 13" MacBookPro 2.26 GHz, 5 Gb, 500 GB, OS X 10.6.5
Download Microsoft Intellipoint for your mouse from microsoft webpage. Then adjust the mouse speed according to your needs from System Preferences > Microsoft Mouse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
What are the specs on your Macbook Pro?

Is this limited to when you're playing RuneScape?

OP
E
Reaction score
I downloaded the intellipoint from the CD given and it was the latest version. That didn't change anything. The old mouse I can't even control AT ALL so that didn't work. And no it is not limited to runescape, but it experiences the issue the most harshly when I am playing - I'm assuming because it uses the most power or something like that

OP
E
Reaction score
and as for specs... idk what that means but i am reading this off the about this mac thing-

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP71.0039.B05
SMC Version (system): 1.62f6

Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

OP
E
Reaction score
you guys dont get it

i can control A mouse; ive been on computers for years. its an issue of control based on the mouse or the computer - and im assuming the computer because two different mouses have been this way. I'm trying to give a good example of what the issue is...

okay I'm scrolling over the screen with a constant speed from the left side to the right

at some points it slows up and then it hits a completely irrelevant spot and begins to speed up and practically teleport across the screen and then it stops again at some other random point and it does this all the time. i even feel like sometimes it goes up and down when im ensuring that i make it go left and right. why is it that a perfectly new macbook has this issue but no one elses does? the first thing i did when i got this thing is set it down and plugged in my mouse so i didnt change any settings..

if its a computer issue im never buying a mac again.. 1200 dollars and i need to buy their overpriced protection plan because they (likley) purposely messed up my usb port or something

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.