• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple shows interest in individually lit, multi-color keyboard backlights

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I would love to have a disco keyboard.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I see this very useful for the visually handicapped. They probably can't see the letters on the keys so well anymore but the differing colours would help them to learn to type in a different way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
How innovative.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
wake me up when they come up with digital face keys, one that allows you to program each key(if you wanted).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
This will certainly appeal to the Justin Bieber crowd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" AL 2.93 GHz Intel C2D - SSD, HDD external, OS X 10.7, 4 GB Ram
Don't know Justin Bieber, but been looking at the back keyboards for a couple of months now, and as yet haven't decided on one. If Apple puts out one then maybe I will look into their offering when it comes out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't know Justin Bieber, but been looking at the back keyboards for a couple of months now, and as yet haven't decided on one. If Apple puts out one then maybe I will look into their offering when it comes out.

You mean like the ones with backlights already built into the Macbook Pros?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4
wake me up when they come up with digital face keys, one that allows you to program each key(if you wanted).

It's been around for at least a year or two, and will set you back $2,400 (U.S.). It's called the Optimus Maximus, and offers an LED screen on each key which you can program for any number of things.

It offers an SD card slot to store all the icons you program, and requires a USB and a power cable to connect. I've seen one in action, and it is ultra friggin cool! You can have Photoshop's actual tool icons appear on the keys for the shortcuts if you want - it's awesome, it's just way too expensive.

optimus_maximus_01w.jpg

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I bet this is going to take a million batteries, since Apple just pulled the wired compact keyboard from their line. I think Apple just wants us to start buying their rechargeable batteries, once they phase out all their wired keyboards. You heard it here first, Apple will soon take over the battery market! /sarcasm ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
That's AWESOME...and expensive! I didn't even know such a thing even existed! Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
It's been around for at least a year or two, and will set you back $2,400 (U.S.). It's called the Optimus Maximus, and offers an LED screen on each key which you can program for any number of things.

It offers an SD card slot to store all the icons you program, and requires a USB and a power cable to connect. I've seen one in action, and it is ultra friggin cool! You can have Photoshop's actual tool icons appear on the keys for the shortcuts if you want - it's awesome, it's just way too expensive.

optimus_maximus_01w.jpg

Beat me to it, but those things are truly amazing. Not cheap at all sadly.

Reaction score
Amazing. But then Apple has a lot to catch up with on it's desktop keyboards since they don't even have backlighting. I found that odd, since their macbookPro keyboards have lovely backlighting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Amazing. But then Apple has a lot to catch up with on it's desktop keyboards since they don't even have backlighting. I found that odd, since their macbookPro keyboards have lovely backlighting.

Considering most people probably aren't using their desktop in a dimly lit room, or one in which the desktop monitor doesn't provide enough illumination on the keyboard, I'm really thinking it's not a big priority...or even necessary.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I honestly don't see the need for this on a desktop computer. The Apple Alu keyboard is one of the quietest keyboards I've ever used. That's why I bought it in the first place. Sure it's angle is way to low, I had to put little rubber feet on the back end of it for more of a usable slant but apart from that it's great.

And about the back lighting. If you really need it, then there is not enough lighting in the room you are using your computer in. And that's very bad for your eyesight.

But for notebooks though having the backlit keyboard I can se being very useful indeed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
A keyboard where you can program key colors would be very useful to those that do AV editing, and maybe even in photoshop. Color grouping an recognition could make it easier to identify shortcutes much quicker, especially when you're working in a program that has a very large number of different shortcuts...like almost one for every operation.

Video-Editing-Keyboard.jpg

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now that is your keyboard on drugs :).

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
DDR for your fingers. I Like it. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.