how to get photos from ipad to mac

Reaction score
I recently had my iphoto albums deleted and I want to know if there is a way to get them from my ipad back to my macbook pro? If i sync my ipad in itunes it wants to delete my photos on my ipad because the albums are not available in my iphoto anymore. Any help would be appreciated.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Open the iTunes preferences and deselect automatically synch iPad. Then connect iPad, open iTunes (if it doesn't autmatically come up) and import your photos from your iPad back into iPhoto.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If iPhoto preferences are set to automatically detect and import from Camera than it will bring up the import window and all you do is click on import all.

If not, you will have to go through the menu in iPhoto to import photos. I am at work right now so I can't walk you through this, but should be pretty easy to follow.

OP
J
Reaction score
I tried this and it does not show my photos. It only shows the pictures my kids have made in some of the apps. Am I missing something that would show the photos that are in albums? Thanks for your help and time.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you sure the photos are on your iPad?
Can you see them using the Photo APP?

If they are and you can't get import to work (don't know why it wouldn't) you can email them from Photo APP on your iPad to your MBP. This would be a REAL pain probably to have to do, but it beats the alternative to losing irreplaceable pictures (which leads me to a plug I will make for having a backup of your precious files). External HDs are dirt cheap; I picked up a Seagate 640GB HD for $55 on CyberMonday.
I can't reccomend too strongly to back up your files--Time Machine if nothing else.

OP
J
Reaction score
I agree about the backup, I learned the hard way. I have most of my photos but all of my organization is gone. I have no albums in iPhoto for the ipad to sync with. I may just have to wade through the 1000s of photos to find there favorites again. I can't figure out why if I can see them in the photo app on the ipad why I can't import them when attached to the MBP. Weird!!
Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I can't figure out why if I can see them in the photo app on the ipad why I can't import them when attached to the MBP. Weird!!
Thanks for your help.

Have you ever had an iPod or iPhone before? They are not really "designed" as portable hard drives or flash drives. There are ways around it, but they really aren't made to transfer music, photos, etc. back and forth to your computer. They're just devices for carrying that stuff around and having access to it on-the-go. Your computer at home is your true "storage" device. That's why you "sync" with it. Think of it as water bottle. You get the water from your fridge or faucet or whatever, but the bottle is merely how you take the water with you. You have to re-fill it when you want more water or a different kind of beverage.

I'm saying it's impossible, but it's just not how Apple designed the iOS devices to work and not how most people use them. It's just easier when you work with the design. ;)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhoto will not import photos previously synched from your MBP (sorry, I just tried it). Looks like the only choice is to email them to yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Why not grab them from you iPad using Image Capture?

It's built into OSX, doesn't use iTunes or Iphoto, just copies pictures from USB connected devices to any folder you like

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Image Capture won't work either. It only sees the screenshots you've taken with the iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.