• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Intel CEO on Mac OS X port, Apple market share

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Source: MacMinute.com

Intel CEO on Mac OS X port, Apple market share
October 23, 2003 - 15:42 EDT When asked in a ZDNet interview if he expects Mac OS X to ever run on Intel processors, Intel CEO Craig Barrett said: "We keep trying, but frankly it gets less and less interesting each year. When they were 10 percent of the market it was a more interesting issue. But at 2 percent of the market...our sales can blip 2 percent quarter on quarter, so we can shrink or grow by a couple of Apples. There are lots of interesting aspects in there. Steve (Jobs) is trying to appeal more to the Intel base. You might ask why he doesn't take his OS and try to compete in the other 98 percent of the market. But he doesn't choose to do that. The OS X kernel runs just fine on Intel. Just a matter of the app stack to stick on top of that."

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Since Apple is a hardware company, and they create software to sell more hardware. Why would Apple want OS X on an Intel box. That would hurt them more than help them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Apple is changing.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If Apple were to port their code over to run on the Intel chip, Apple would loss quality control.

Apple is a hardware company. If you see at the iPod. Apple creates iTunes and the Apple music store to sell more iPods.

Intel may want Apple to install their chip inside Apple hardware. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I think apple is moving towards a balance of software and hardware company..

things can be looked at both ways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Also, realise there is deffinatly more money in Software than there will ever be in Hardware.

I think Apple should hook up with AMD and take ouot Intel and Windows ;)

Or something like that...

I think we might do pretty good, since we have IBM back on our side. I mean, they technically make the world's fastest processor (no, not the G5) I don't remember the chip IBM makes, but it is the fastest (least from what I've read in a couple places).

It doesn't bother me for the moment, I don't think Apple will go out of business anytime soon. And if they do, I can suck it up and buy a Windows machine.

Hopefully, by that time, they will fix their "crap" :shrugs:

sKaD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
The great sense of community and feeling of belonging we get as mac owners would disappear if Apple got a significantly larger market share. Apple owners are (mostly) very devoted to their machines and os - if OSX ran on intel chips the mac community would quite possibly disintegrate into the state of the current PC community. Impersonal, maybe?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
i think they are trying to become the software standard for anyone in the hollywood business, but other than that, its all about hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I think Intel is just miffed because Stevey boy won't give in :)

It would be cool to run on Intel architecture, but that would open up a HUGE can of worms for supporting the overly populated hardware industry and every device on the planet.

I think Apple's business plan is very cool.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.