Audio recording via MAC Mini?

J

jjmusicmanjj

Has anyone tried to use the MAC Mini to do any audio(studio) recordings?

Reaction score
It doesn't come with an audio input, but if you buy something like the Griffin iMic, you'll have no problem recording audio.

OP
E

Ex_PC_Puke

On my list to do - I have the iMic ---- from what I've read the mini should handle basic stuff - which is what I'm doing - eventually -- but i have boosted RAM to 1GB

OP
U

UncSki1218

not so sure...while the mini is a cool little computer it may not have enough power. do you mean fooling around with garage band or some serious recording.

OP
J

jjmusicmanjj

UncSki1218 said:
not so sure...while the mini is a cool little computer it may not have enough power. do you mean fooling around with garage band or some serious recording.

Yeah, I would like to use it to record music with garage band.
I have a ibook G4 w/ a 1.07 processor. I use the G/B to record MIDI instruments with no probs, but when I record a instrument it freezes up b/c my processor speed is not fast enough.
I need a G5, but I'm currently broke. So I need something a little more affordable. Like Mac-Mini?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
jjmusicmanjj said:
Yeah, I would like to use it to record music with garage band.
I have a ibook G4 w/ a 1.07 processor. I use the G/B to record MIDI instruments with no probs, but when I record a instrument it freezes up b/c my processor speed is not fast enough.
I need a G5, but I'm currently broke. So I need something a little more affordable. Like Mac-Mini?
It isn't the processor that is the bottleneck. I use an iBook with the same proc as yours. While GarageBand is a processor hogging app, you can take some of the load off the proc by adding more RAM. I see your specs list 768 MB of RAM, adding a 1 GB stick (another 512 MB to your existing) and maxing out the RAM will help tremendously in your case. The RAM upgrade is a much more cost effective way to enhance your GarageBand usage, there is really no need to get a whole new system. I have no problems at all recording MIDI or live intruments, since I installed a 1 GB stick of RAM. I also use a 1GHz eMac for GarageBand as well and again, no problems with it as long as there is plenty of RAM. :headphone :black:

Reaction score
D3v1L80Y said:
you can take some of the load off the proc by adding more RAM

Not really, they are completely seperate things. While having more ram does make your system smoother/faster because of less swapping to the HD, it isn't a replacement for a underpowered processor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
mynameis said:
Not really, they are completely seperate things. While having more ram does make your system smoother/faster because of less swapping to the HD, it isn't a replacement for a underpowered processor.

:black: I never said it was.
Also, I would hardly consider a 1GHz G4 underpowered.
By being able to cache more information to the RAM, (loops, tracks, etc.) there is as you pointed out, less swapping to the HD. What then, controls the swapping to the HD?...the processor. If there is less swapping, then there is in effect less use of the processor. While it may not be much, it does take a bit of the load (albeit a small amount) off the processor.
I can also explain from experience, since I initially put a 512 MB stick in the iBook, and later upgraded to a 1 GB stick. I do use GarageBand quite a bit and I have noticed a HUGE increase in its performance since upping the RAM :headphone

Reaction score
D3v1L80Y said:
Also, I would hardly consider a 1GHz G4 underpowered.

I wouldn't either, but I don't see why it would lack the power to record audio.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
mynameis said:
I wouldn't either, but I don't see why it would lack the power to record audio.
Right-O.
I am curious to find out why anyone would feel that the processor is not powerful enough, myself. As I stated, I have the same processor (1 Ghz G4) in my eMac and my iBook and I have absolutely no issues or problems of any kind recording with GarageBand.

Reaction score
D3v1L80Y said:
I am curious to find out why anyone would feel that the processor is not powerful enough

He claims he is unable to record because it freezes due to overtaxing the processor, I would assume it was some other problem though, not sure what.

OP
J

jjmusicmanjj

D3v1L80Y said:
It isn't the processor that is the bottleneck. I use an iBook with the same proc as yours. While GarageBand is a processor hogging app, you can take some of the load off the proc by adding more RAM. I see your specs list 768 MB of RAM, adding a 1 GB stick (another 512 MB to your existing) and maxing out the RAM will help tremendously in your case. The RAM upgrade is a much more cost effective way to enhance your GarageBand usage, there is really no need to get a whole new system. I have no problems at all recording MIDI or live intruments, since I installed a 1 GB stick of RAM. I also use a 1GHz eMac for GarageBand as well and again, no problems with it as long as there is plenty of RAM. :headphone :black:

I'll put a 1GB of RAM in to see if that works, which it should, based on your experiences with your own systems. Upgrading RAM is more affordable than a new system. Thanks!

OP
J

jjmusicmanjj

mynameis said:
He claims he is unable to record because it freezes due to overtaxing the processor, I would assume it was some other problem though, not sure what.

I don't know if it is some other problem, but it could be.
I've done just about everything possible to optimize my processors performance. Also, I've used the Garage Band Help info to smooth things out and still the same problem occurs.
Could it be that I have Filevault active on my system?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.