Stumped

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5K Retina 27" 2017, macOS 11.3.1 Big Sur, iPhone 7Plus, iPad Pro, Apple tv4, iPodT6
New to Mac. First problem I've found not being familiar with Mac.

I have a Panasonic Bluray Player (DMP BD65) and need to create a firmware update cd. Support site only gives instructs for downloading/creating with Windows, not Mac.

Here is the problem:
After downloading the correct firmware update .exe file to my Desktop (iMac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.5)
It states to decompress (Double Click) this file to give PANA_DVD.FRM file and to burn this .frm to a blank CDR disk.

How do I decompress the .exe on a Mac - double clicking on the Mac only gives options for opening the file in applications such as Text-edit or other.

I am stumped.

Much obliged for any help that is offered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OP
MacGandalf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5K Retina 27" 2017, macOS 11.3.1 Big Sur, iPhone 7Plus, iPad Pro, Apple tv4, iPodT6
mrplow: Thanks for taking the time to reply. None of the three options worked, sad to say.

Looks like the only way to update the firmware (which I did not want to do) is physically connect the bluray player to my router. As my player is downstairs and my computer room upstairs, it's a bit of a nuisance. :Grimmace:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Simple solution: Gain access to a Windows machine and update the firmware that way. It won't matter whether the firmware was updated on a Win box, Linux box, Mac, etc. Once it's been updated, it'll work just the same.

Do you really need the firmware update? And, what exactly does this firmware update fix? Sometimes manufacturers issue firmware updates that corrects something and other times it may just be eye candy.

Also, a word of caution. I've seen firmware updates applied to CD and DVD players that rendered them useless when the update failed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I just went to panasonic.com, clicked on Support, and entered the model number you posted above.

Here's the page:
Panasonic DMP-BD65K Support and Service Information

Click on the "Download" link. You'll get links to the firmware and instructions (PDF)

No need for, or mention of, any EXE file. Don't know where you're getting that from.

OP
MacGandalf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just went to panasonic.com, clicked on Support, and entered the model number you posted above.

Here's the page:
Panasonic DMP-BD65K Support and Service Information

Click on the "Download" link. You'll get links to the firmware and instructions (PDF)

No need for, or mention of, any EXE file. Don't know where you're getting that from.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I have to get my updates from the European site. I live in the UK. European site does not offer the .FRM but a self extracting exe which has to be decompressed to get the .FRM.

I will just have to download the file, decompress it on a Windows machine and burn it to disk - then install on my player.

Once again thank you for replying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I have to get my updates from the European site. I live in the UK. European site does not offer the .FRM but a self extracting exe which has to be decompressed to get the .FRM.

I will just have to download the file, decompress it on a Windows machine and burn it to disk - then install on my player.

Once again thank you for replying.

Why does it matter where you live? Excuse my ignorance if I'm missing something here, but I'm just curious!
I'm in Oz and I can get the .FRM download no probs.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Why does it matter where you live? Excuse my ignorance if I'm missing something here, but I'm just curious!
I'm in Oz and I can get the .FRM download no probs.

Much like with DVD players, Blu-Ray players are localized. So, if you don't get the right firmware, you could have issues playing your Euro-spec discs.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If no access to a windows machine, I'd just connect the player to your home network via ethernet and run the firmware update via the menu within the player. Here's the directions on how to do that - link.

Did not go check the european site, but Panasonic Global has no listing for a firmware update for that specific model except for North America. If there is one, the direct ethernet connection will find the proper one.

For others with Panasonic players - here is their primary list of firmware updates available.

I am with chscag related to updating the firmware on your players - if you are not experiencing the specific items related to the firmware update - leave things as they are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Much like with DVD players, Blu-Ray players are localized. So, if you don't get the right firmware, you could have issues playing your Euro-spec discs.

Thanks.
I suspected this might be the case, but just wanted to know :)

OP
MacGandalf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If no access to a windows machine, I'd just connect the player to your home network via ethernet and run the firmware update via the menu within the player. Here's the directions on how to do that - link.

bobtomay: Might have to go that route. re: connecting via ethernet and running the update via the menu within the player?

Does this menu show on the computer screen or do you have to have TV switched-on as well?

Cheers,

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
bobtomay: Might have to go that route. re: connecting via ethernet and running the update via the menu within the player?

Does this menu show on the computer screen or do you have to have TV switched-on as well?

Cheers,

Don't really know what you're asking here. In order to navigate the menus within the player, then you're going to need to have it connected to a monitor/TV. Computer has nothing to do with it.

OP
MacGandalf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't really know what you're asking here. In order to navigate the menus within the player, then you're going to need to have it connected to a monitor/TV. Computer has nothing to do with it.

Sorry Bob. What I am asking is: - Bluray player and TV downstairs. Computer upstairs. If I take bluray player upstairs to connect to my computer's router to update firmware online - Does the TV need to be connected to the bluray player for me to see the internal update menu of the player. I do not have an ethernet cable of sufficient length to do this from the router upstairs to the bluray player and TV downstairs.

Any clearer?

Personally think that creating a firmware update disk via a Windows machine will be the easier solution.

Cheers

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You would for sure to use Bob's method have to have a TV connected to the Blu Ray player to see what you are doing.

OP
MacGandalf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You would for sure to use Bob's method have to have a TV connected to the Blu Ray player to see what you are doing.

Thank you for confirming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
How about you post a link to the European firmware here and one of us with a Windows box can unzip it for you, then we'll either post the files back here or host them somewhere for you to download them from. Easier than dragging hardware around the house or looking for a Windows computer when you don't have one at home.

OP
MacGandalf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How about you post a link to the European firmware here and one of us with a Windows box can unzip it for you, then we'll either post the files back here or host them somewhere for you to download them from. Easier than dragging hardware around the house or looking for a Windows computer when you don't have one at home.

Kash: That is very kind and an offer I might take up. Thankfully the next European firmware update has not yet been released - but when it is may I PM you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kash: That is very kind and an offer I might take up. Thankfully the next European firmware update has not yet been released - but when it is may I PM you?

It is indeed! ...and reps to Kash for the gesture :)
Keep in mind that if Kash doesn't have access to a windows box, there are many here who do that would be happy to help you out I'm sure!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Sorry Bob. What I am asking is: - Bluray player and TV downstairs. Computer upstairs. If I take bluray player upstairs to connect to my computer's router to update firmware online - Does the TV need to be connected to the bluray player for me to see the internal update menu of the player. I do not have an ethernet cable of sufficient length to do this from the router upstairs to the bluray player and TV downstairs.

Any clearer?

Personally think that creating a firmware update disk via a Windows machine will be the easier solution.

Cheers

You might want to think about getting an ethernet connection to the player either by cabling or wireless since I see updates all the time for various players do to disc not playing or loading correctly and in order to use some
features an ethernet connection is mandatory. My company has used products from Netgear that solve this issue wirelessly may want to visit their
website also as a side note almost all new TV's get their firmware updates via ethernet along with the latest batch of AV receivers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

By all means, I'd be more than happy to help :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.