installing "make" in terminal

Reaction score
hi, just having a problem using "make" in the terminal, i have xcode installed as i understood that it might have been the problem i was facing, does anyone have any input as to how i might install "make" for use with college software

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Make should be installed along with Xcode. There should be a symlink in /Developer/usr/bin from make to gnumake. Does this exist?

OP
T
Reaction score
make -> gnumake symlink

yes as far as I can tell there is a symlink between the two in the bin folder

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There should also be a copy of gnumake in your /usr/bin/ folder as well. Edit the file /etc/paths and if /usr/bin isn't there (which it should be), add it.

If this doesn't work, post back with the output from "echo $PATH" (without the quotes).

OP
T
Reaction score
to the best of my knowledge the /usr/bin is in the $PATH and there is a gnumake along with make in the bin directory for which make is an alias for gnumake

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have /usr/bin in your path (which you should) and there is a symlink from make to gnumake, you should be good to go. Does it work if you try to build something? If not, what is the output?

Reaction score
Similar make problem

I recently updated to Lion from snow leopard and I am having some troubles using make. I upgraded to Xcode 4.2 because I heard that could cause a problem but I am still having issues. I went though each of the things mentioned in this forum already (each of them checking out) and this is what is listed when I try to use the terminal to install the perl module HTML::parser:

morricej:html-parser-3.69 Jarrod$ make
cp lib/HTML/PullParser.pm blib/lib/HTML/PullParser.pm
cp Parser.pm blib/lib/HTML/Parser.pm
cp lib/HTML/Entities.pm blib/lib/HTML/Entities.pm
cp lib/HTML/LinkExtor.pm blib/lib/HTML/LinkExtor.pm
cp lib/HTML/TokeParser.pm blib/lib/HTML/TokeParser.pm
cp lib/HTML/Filter.pm blib/lib/HTML/Filter.pm
cp lib/HTML/HeadParser.pm blib/lib/HTML/HeadParser.pm
/opt/local/bin/perl /opt/local/lib/perl5/5.8.9/ExtUtils/xsubpp -typemap /opt/local/lib/perl5/5.8.9/ExtUtils/typemap -typemap typemap Parser.xs > Parser.xsc && mv Parser.xsc Parser.c
/opt/local/bin/perl mkhctype >hctype.h
/opt/local/bin/perl mkpfunc >pfunc.h
/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -c -pipe -O2 -arch i386 -arch ppc -fno-common -DPERL_DARWIN -I/opt/local/include -no-cpp-precomp -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include -I/opt/local/include -O3 -DVERSION=\"3.69\" -DXS_VERSION=\"3.69\" "-I/opt/local/lib/perl5/5.8.9/darwin-2level/CORE" -DMARKED_SECTION Parser.c
/bin/sh: /usr/bin/gcc-4.0: No such file or directory
make: *** [Parser.o] Error 127

Do I need to install gcc-4.0? I thought this was included in Xcode? Is it ok for me to do a manual install of this without messing anything up?

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Reaction score
Work around for make problem

I was able to figure out (somewhat) what was happening with the reference to gcc-4.0 during my HTML:: Parser install. It turns out the version of perl that I was using was the default one that was installed during an installation from MacPorts (using perl version 5.8.9). When I updated to Lion this version of perl was still the default version of perl because of the way my $PATHS variable was set up. Anyway, for some reason this version of perl causes the makefile when installing modules to call specifically for gcc-4.0 instead of the default that is used for lion (not too sure about this but it seems to be either gcc or gcc-4.2). Using the system's version of perl (5.12.3) was able to clear this up for me. Hope this might help for anybody else out there who might be going through a similar process.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.