About to make the switch. Questions about what the Apple Store will do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone4, MBP
I'm about to finally pull the trigger and purchase a 13" Macbook Pro. I've been a PC user since the 80's so this is a bit scary for me. (No, I won't ask anyone to hold my hand. :) ) I'll also be upgrading my iphone to an iphone 4. I have a couple of questions about what the Apple Store will do for me.

1) Will they transfer my files (documents, photos, music) off my old PC to my new Macbook Pro? Will they transfer over my bookmarks/favorites from Firefox on my PC to Firefox on my Macbook? Will they set up my itunes?

2) Will they transfer the info from my iphone 3g to the new iphone 4? Are they still giving away free cases with the iphone 4?

Hopefully these questions aren't too stupid. I know when I buy a new pc it's up to me to do all the work. I seem to remember that if I purchase at an Apple store they will take care of it. Or is this part of the service provided by the "One to One" service?

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are three Apple stores in Houston. Why not call one of them and ask? Try: (713) 850-8924. (That's the store located in the Galleria.)

C

chas_m

1) Will they transfer my files (documents, photos, music) off my old PC to my new Macbook Pro? Will they transfer over my bookmarks/favorites from Firefox on my PC to Firefox on my Macbook? Will they set up my itunes?

Yes, yes, and I'm not sure what you mean by "set up" iTunes, but they'll transfer the music over. Is it in iTunes on your PC?

2) Will they transfer the info from my iphone 3g to the new iphone 4? Are they still giving away free cases with the iphone 4?

I'm not sure -- I think so. Doesn't hurt to ask.

And no, they're not giving away free cases anymore. Turns out the "antennagate" problem didn't affect most users, so they stopped it.

Hopefully these questions aren't too stupid.

Not stupid at all, but I'd suggest calling the particular Apple Store you're going to and confirming what I've said. Since the stuff you describe will take some time, you should be prepared to actually come back the next day to pick everything up if they're very busy (and it IS shopping season!), but hopefully they can do it in just a short while so you can wander the mall while you wait.

Reaction score
I'm about to finally pull the trigger and purchase a 13" Macbook Pro. I've been a PC user since the 80's so this is a bit scary for me. (No, I won't ask anyone to hold my hand. :) ) I'll also be upgrading my iphone to an iphone 4. I have a couple of questions about what the Apple Store will do for me.

Hopefully these questions aren't too stupid. I know when I buy a new pc it's up to me to do all the work. I seem to remember that if I purchase at an Apple store they will take care of it. Or is this part of the service provided by the "One to One" service?

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

Might want to check out the One to One service Apple offers:
Apple Retail Store - One to One

As for transferring the info from your 3G to a new iPhone 4, get the Mac set up before you activate the new iPhone. Backup and sync your 3G to the new Mac, then when you plug in the 4, you can restore it from the backup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
1. As far as I know, no. But chat to them about it on the phone and they'll be able to tell you the best way to go about it.

2. As far as I know Yes. I know they can activate iOS devices instore without you having to go home to your computer first.

And it seems from my reading they will transfer files from your PC to your Mac if you buy one to one training.
That's the link to read up all about it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

As "chscag" advised...calling one of your local Apple Stores would be best. Apple is really really great about customer service...and since you are buying a new Macbook Pro...I would sure hope that they would be willing to help.

But keep in mind...this is a VERY busy time of the year (December holidays)...and this may factor in "when" they can help you out. Especially if you want to walk in & walk out the same day...and be there while they do the file transferring. I would suggest not trying to do this during the Weekends...most Apple Stores are a "mad-house" pretty much all weekend (especially in December)!;)

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone4, MBP
I'm going to put off the purchase. Called the store and the agent answered most of my questions. Went in to the store about 11AM. A number of people in the store milling around. Some being helped. About half a dozen employees standing around seemingly in no hurry to help anyone out. After about 10 minutes of watching these guys ignore customers I finally snagged one of the employees and asked them to help.

I explained what I wanted and he said sure, no problem. He told me about the One on One service for transferring the files to the new computer and showing me how to use the new system. Said it would take 24 hours and that the "class" for new owners is at 6PM. Class? Shouldn't "One on One Service" actually be just me and the person teaching?

Anyway, the guy pulled up the web page so I could fill out the financing application. He got the computer from the storeroom and the credit authorization. He told me that the activation system for the iphone was down so I'd have to come back for that. (The agent I spoke with on the phone didn't say anything about it being down and the salesperson said it had been down all day. Hmmm...) Rang up the MBP and told me it would be $500. Excuse me? Seems that Barclay's only authorized $1000. Weird since I have a great credit score, low debt to income ratio, and had indicated on the application the amount I needed to finance as $1500 to $2000.

I asked for the number to Barclay which they eventually found. Called and spoke to the agent who couldn't tell me anything and couldn't authorize the credit increase. I asked for a supervisor. The agent put me on hold for a few minutes then came back and told me there was nothing they could do. "Umm, I asked to speak to a supervisor. Are you telling me the supervisor won't bother to speak to a customer? If that's the case, then cancel the account."

I eventually was transferred to a supervisor. Sounded like she was in/from India. All she could tell me was, "I can't understand you." Then she told me I'd have to call back and speak to someone else. What? You can't just transfer me to someone who actually speaks English. Click. She hung up on me. I told the salesperson what had happened and said I'd have to come back once I spoke with someone at Barclay. He told me that the credit authorization was only good for today so if I wanted to finance the MBP I'd have to come back before the store closed. As I was leaving, I saw an AT&T kiosk and asked them if the activation system was down. The answer was "no." Hmmm....

Went home and called Barclay. Finally got a supervisor who transferred me to credit management. It took the lady less than 5 minutes to double my credit limit. But it's now after 3PM and I'd have to drive back to the mall, fight all the other holiday shoppers in traffic and for a parking space, snag an employee (hopefully the activation system is working), then fight rush hour traffic home. Just too much hassle for what should have been a simple purchase. I decided I'll just wait until after the holidays then walk in and pay cash. Called Barclay back and told them to cancel the account.

So, expect a lot of stupid questions about how to do things after the beginning of next year.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What a Mess that was. I can understand your frustration and especially with Barclay! I ran into something like that with SBC before AT&T took over. Transfered to people who could not understand me and I could not understand them. Finally got a person who solved my issue.

When you get your Mac, ask away and we will do our best to help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Wow...I never heard anyone having so many troubles all at one time. But rest assured:

- Macintosh computers are great products
- Apple's Applecare is a really great warranty (complementary 12 months or the 2-3 year extended Applecare)...search Mac-Forums for lots of great experiences!!!
- and Mac-Forums is a great place to get help when things get confusing.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
In my experience, the woodlands mall apple store is always much less congested. I either bought mine at woodlands or the galleria, but I think it was the woodlands. I much prefer going to that store, as it's always much quieter and easier to get help if you need it (and you don't have to squeeze between all the 12 year olds playing with photobooth).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you're paying the $100 for One-On-One, you should be able to sign up for an hour of individual time. They might make you go to a "class" first, though.

Is there any reason you're going with the Apple-Barclay deal and not a more reasonable credit card? The Barclay card seems like a pretty lousy deal for most people.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
...I decided I'll just wait until after the holidays then walk in and pay cash...

Kudos to you. Paying cash is (almost) always a great decision, especially when dealing with a company like Apple, who will take care of you after the sale is complete. Also, the Apple store will be much less congested after the Christmas rush.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone4, MBP
If you're paying the $100 for One-On-One, you should be able to sign up for an hour of individual time. They might make you go to a "class" first, though.

Is there any reason you're going with the Apple-Barclay deal and not a more reasonable credit card? The Barclay card seems like a pretty lousy deal for most people.

I thought that paying the $100 for the One on One service meant that I got an individual introduction to the Mac operating system. If it's a class environment, it's not as valuable to me. I think after the initial introduction I'll be able to figure out 99% of what I need to do just by using Google and this forum. Plus, they offer free intro to Mac classes (unless I read it wrong) so why pay for it.

The only reason I was using Barclay was because they were offering 12 months no interest. I could have probably paid it off in 4 to 6 months then canceled the card. I didn't want to spend that much cash with Christmas coming up. (I pay cash for anything that's not an unexpected emergency.)

I'll wait until next year after I've rebuilt my savings and go get what I want.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone4, MBP
In my experience, the woodlands mall apple store is always much less congested. I either bought mine at woodlands or the galleria, but I think it was the woodlands. I much prefer going to that store, as it's always much quieter and easier to get help if you need it (and you don't have to squeeze between all the 12 year olds playing with photobooth).

The employees at the Memorial City Mall store are usually great. I think it has to do with it being Christmas season, lots of customers, and probably lots of seasonal help. When I we went in to upgrade my wife's iphone, the guy that helped us was awesome. I actually found an email address to send a message to corporate (?) or the store manager, can't remember which right now, to let them know what a great employee they had. I really do think this was just an anomaly.

Oh, and I wish it was just 12 year olds annoying people. There was some guy in there that was staring at a computer and singing loudly, dancing, and just generally behaving strange. Not sure if he had a mental problem or was chemically enhanced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

One to One features three different ways to learn. If you prefer to learn face-to-face, Personal Training Sessions offer an uninterrupted hour with a Trainer. As experts in all things Apple, Trainers provide guidance, support, and creative inspiration. If you prefer a small group setting, exclusive One to One Workshops are a unique opportunity for you and a few other members to work with a Trainer on special interest topics.

You can also learn from anywhere, on your own schedule, using your One to One web page. Your personalized One to One page lets you access hundreds of tutorials, schedule and manage your appointments, and explore projects created by other members.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5"; 3.06Ghz;
Have no fears and pull that trigger. I just bought a imac online from the apple store and found it very good. I cant believe I was worried about making the change from pc to mac. I am in no way a computer wizz kid but I was able to transfer all my music and pictures straight from my pc on to my beautiful imac and set it up so that all accounts had access to them. Everything you need to know to be able to do it is on the apple web site. Its easy peezee. The only fault i found when buying on line was that nobody told me that if i waited until last Friday (black Friday) I could have got it for about €100 cheaper than i paid for it on monday. Still its that good that i don't care.
I have to comment on the magic mouse its amazing and you should get it words cannot describe how easy it is to use. And the keyboard is fantastic too.
I don't know anything about your iphone concern so I can't say.
Good luck,
Greg.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.