icon design

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Hello,
Almost all icon design is done in Photoshop, it is the absolute best software for designing realistic icons an other things. Icons like Courier, Socialite, Transmit, CSSEdit, and Espresso are all done in Photoshop.

Logo design is done in Illustrator. (Logos like Starbucks) I have seen a photorealistic rum tumbler done in Illustrator, but Illustrator is usually used for logo, and vector art.

While Photoshop is the most used software in the design world, I have seen some amazing icons done in GIMP also.
GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation

Pixelmator is also used by some, it also can do amazing things it you have time.
Pixelmator

It all depends on how much energy you have to learn how to do things, and a lot of patience.

Did you know that you can download a 30 day trial of Photoshop?
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=photoshop

OP
J
Reaction score
thank you, i think i meant strictly logo design rather than icon. So , is photoshop somewhat equvilent as far as logo design. Reason for asking is my wife would like it for photo editing. Or is illustrator superior for logos? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Both Photoshop and Illustrator can do logos, but Illustrator is more suited for logo design because logos are usually vector (scaleable to any size) and it was specifically built for this purpose.
But you cannot edit photos with Illustrator, you will need Photoshop for that purpose.

On the Socialite website:
The wooden shelf, the blue/purple/green background, the download button, the facebook/flickr/twitter/rss/digg icons, and the Socialite icon were made in Photoshop.
I can't tell you for sure, but it appears to me that the greater majority of icons/design work was done in Ps.

External tablets:
Most designers probably have a tablet, if they use it a lot I don't know. I once asked a designer of a absolutely stunning credit card swipe if it was done with a tablet, he answered that it was all done with a mouse in Ps. I believe it was this one Pos Machine Icons by *omercetin on deviantART
For me a tablet would be of use if I did a lot of digital sketching or drawing, but I prefer using the magic trackpad or a trackball when hobby designing website elements.

C

chas_m

If you're going to focus on creating logos, there's some very good third-party logo creation software for the Mac as well.

OP
J
Reaction score
great replies, thank you.. i've got a good opportunity to get CS5 web premium for $370 so i think i will go with that, sounds like a good deal... Thanks guys..

C

chas_m

great replies, thank you.. i've got a good opportunity to get CS5 web premium for $370 so i think i will go with that, sounds like a good deal... Thanks guys..

Oh yes at that price I'd jump all over that!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.