• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Back-up and manage movies.

Reaction score
I am new to the forum and thought this would be an easier way to get answers to my questions, rather aimlessly searching the internet.

I am currently trying to back up all of my hard copy dvds to my computer and external hard drive. I am trying to figure out the best way to copy my movies, both HD and Blue Ray, to my computer/external hard drive.

I also have Apple TV and would like to know if I can stream the movies from my external hard drive to my Apple TV through iTunes.... I guess I'm confused about how the whole process will work.

Thank you for any feedback.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Welcome to the forum, however, please see the following - at the top of this forum.

Mac-Forums.com - Announcements in Forum : Movies and Video

Any discussion of ripping encrypted commercial discs is not allowed.

As for streaming to the new ATV, anything that iTunes will play can be streamed to it. If iTunes can't play it, as far as I'm aware at this time, then it can't be streamed to the ATV.

OP
J
Reaction score
Okay, I didn't realize that was part of the rules. I know it may not count for much but my only intentions were to simplify my movie collection and have them accessible in one place. Thank you for your response.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A whole lot of folks want to do the same. And it's legal to do as far as fair use goes. But, thanks to the MPAA and our own stupid congress, it's been illegal to break the encryption they put on those discs for about 12 years now.

For those interested in the fight for digital rights, you might consider supporting the EFF.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.