OS X 10.6.5 and Adobe conflict

Reaction score
I've recently download the Trial versions of CS5 and Elements 9. When I installed CS5 last week it worked fine, no issues. This week it started crashing everytime I tried to 'Save As' and later 'Save'. I googled the issue and found no hits. I uninstalled CS5 and have now installed Elements 9. It crashed almost immediately when I tried to open a JPG file. Is this a known issue and I've just missed finding anything? Is it a Mac issue or should I hit up the Adobe forums?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4
It's definitely an issue with your particular machine, because I've been running CS5 on numerous Macs since its release and it's never crashed or failed to launch. I don't have Elements 9, so I can't comment there.

The first "test" is generally to create a new User Account and log in to that to test the apps. If they work fine, then you know it's a conflict or some sort of file corruption within your User Account.

Then try closing/disabling all your fonts, and startup items - which are generally the next two culprits. Don't waste your time repairing permissions (someone is bound to tell you to do that, and it does absolutely nothing for this sort of problem).

I would certainly take a look through the Adobe forums though, it can't hurt.

OP
S
Reaction score
It's definitely an issue with your particular machine, because I've been running CS5 on numerous Macs since its release and it's never crashed or failed to launch. I don't have Elements 9, so I can't comment there.

The first "test" is generally to create a new User Account and log in to that to test the apps. If they work fine, then you know it's a conflict or some sort of file corruption within your User Account.

Then try closing/disabling all your fonts, and startup items - which are generally the next two culprits. Don't waste your time repairing permissions (someone is bound to tell you to do that, and it does absolutely nothing for this sort of problem).

I would certainly take a look through the Adobe forums though, it can't hurt.

I've been on the Adobe Forum all week. And I wished I gotten back here earlier because that's exactly what I've been told, fix the permissions and delete all cache. I've checked my Startup items and the only thing loading is ITunes Helper (which I'm going to disable right now). I have run Onyx several times and after each reboot P.S. works fine, for about an hour or 2, time varies before it "hangs" (I was corrected by a nice Adobe employee). However after P.S. hangs the system won't shut down or restart.

I have created a new user account and am running P.S. now. Fingers crossed it's working at this point in time.

C

chas_m

Don't disable iTunes helper. Screwing up another program is not going to help you fix this one. They have nothing to do with each other.

OP
S
Reaction score

Under the 'test' profile P.S. has worked flawlessly. Not only is it no longer hanging it's magnitudes faster in opening and saving files. So if this is a file corruption in my User Account how do I get rid of it? I've already reinstalled the OS once and whatever was corrupted didn't get refreshed or overridden.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4
Some more things to try. Disable all your fonts in your User/Library/Fonts folder. Many times a corrupt font causes problems.

Make sure Photoshop is installed in the Applications folder.

How much free space do you have on your hard drive? Make sure you have at least a few GB of space (I doubt this is the problem, since PS ran fine in your new user account).

OP
S
Reaction score
Sorry, I thought I'd posted all the same details here as I had on the Adobe forum. This is a brand new Mac, 1 TB drive, 8 gig Ram no other extra programs installed other than what came with the OS from Apple. 2 weeks old. As to the fonts, I went through them all in Fontbook and got no reported errors or issue. I'm not clear on how I can 'disable' them. I was of the understanding, according to Fontbook, there are core fonts that I can't touch. And I haven't installed any, not knowingly anyway.

OP
S
Reaction score
Now I'm starting to feel like a Jinx. After reporting everything was fine under the new user It's starting to do the same things as the original user. Now I don't know if this is a significant piece of the puzzle, but the test user was a standard account and I upgraded it to an admin account in anticipation of deleting the original.

OP
S
Reaction score
and when I changed the test user back to standard, P.S. worked fine again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.