Question iphoto drag 'n drop

Reaction score
Why can't I drag 'n drop photos from iphoto to burn them on to discs, make them portable or archieve them & give them to others?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Your thread has been moved.

In the future, please take the time to place your thread in the appropriate forum. The community and staff will appreciate your support of forum etiquette.

Have a good day! :)

C

chas_m

I don't know, why can't you?

That technique works for me just fine. Well, hang on, I might be doing something a LITTLE different than you.

First I create a folder on the desktop.
Then I open iPhoto and select pictures. As I find them, I drag them into the folder on the desktop. This creates a copy of the photo.
When done, I drag the folder onto a blank CD or DVD, then drag the disc to the burn symbol (where the trash was).

This works perfectly for me. If you're not doing it that way, try it that way and let us know if that worked.

Reaction score
iPhoto is making me NUTS

I'm fairly new to Mac and Iphoto is horrible so far.

When I want to upload a photo i am given no choice where it will go. After it uploads I can't find it. This really pi$$ me off when I have elected to delete the photos from the camera.

Additionally there seems to be no drag and drop option in iphoto either. The program simply refuses to do so.

If there is a photo on the camera I don't want to upload - I would like to be able to delete it - NO GO there as well.

Can someone recommend a comprehensive overview somewhere - the online "tutorial" is little more than a commercial for the program.

If this is "just how it is" can someone recommend another application which will handle photos easily?

Thanks in advance and
Sorry for the Rant...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
When I want to upload a photo i am given no choice where it will go.
Where do you want it to go? It's imported into iPhoto. It will appear in Photos, Events, Last Import, Last 2/3/4 weeks/months. All of which should be in the iPhoto Sidebar. If they are not go into iPhoto Preferences to set it up like that.

Additionally there seems to be no drag and drop option in iphoto either. The program simply refuses to do so.
Where do you want to drag and drop to? You should be able to drag pictures into Finder, into various applications, into Albums that you have created.

It's not advisable to delete photos from your camera via iPhoto. It can cause problems with some camera cards.

If there is a photo on the camera I don't want to upload - I would like to be able to delete it - NO GO there as well.
iPhoto is not a program for managing your camera. If you dont want to import it, delete it from your camera before connecting.

Can someone recommend a comprehensive overview somewhere - the online "tutorial" is little more than a commercial for the program.
I'm sure you can find something in here:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ip...aq=0sx&aqi=g-sx7g-msx3&aql=&oq=iphot+tutorial

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
It's not advisable to delete photos from your camera via iPhoto. It can cause problems with some camera cards.

Also until you have made a backup of your iPhoto photos you do not have a backup - your camera is your backup temporarily!

My three digital cameras (2 Nikons and a Sony) came with thier own programs for downloading and managing photos so you don't have to use iPhoto. Personally, I don't use those either because I prefer to copy them all first from the camera to a folder on my mac, from where I can (a) back them up (b) delete any obvious duds (c) sort them into sub folders with appropriate names using Finder (d) import them to iPhoto which then automatically creates Events based on my folder names. They are also there in folders as an extra backup and readily available for me to use in other programs or to email if I don't want to go into iPhoto first.

Reaction score
I feel his pain. When I try to move photos into a folder I have named, using the drag and drop method, they do not go there. iPhoto creates a new unnamed folder/album and places the photos there. My wife and I have pictures from a trip on each of our iPhones and we cannot combine them into the same folder. According to the "help" this should be possible, but it is not. "Help" also mentions an option that is not available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Yes, it should be possible. Make sure that you are dropping your photos ONTO the named folder. It sounds like you are dropping them between two folders.

Reaction score
Thank you MightyGem, but I have attempted to drop the pictures DIRECTLY ON TOP of the folder I have already created. The folder is highlighted when I drop the pictures. I have tried multiple times and have not been successful. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the iPhoto software with no success. Frankly, that is a very insulting reply to my issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Frankly, that is a very insulting reply to my issue.
No it's not. I gave you a possible solution to your problem, to correct an error that is easy to do. You were obviously doing it correctly, so didn't need the advice. No worries.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.