iCal repeating event

Reaction score
I've got a repeating event which takes place on the first Sunday of every month. A few weeks ago, I noticed that it had become duplicated. My efforts to delete the duplication have not been successful and, when I try to delete it, it reproduces! I've now got four instances of this event, all the same.

When I attempt to delete the extra events, iCal wants to send a notification to the "invitees", and takes me to the Mail app, where I have an email waiting to send to no one. My event has no invitees; I've never used this feature of iCal.

I've tried to delete all instances of this event and start over, but iCal won't let me. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Gary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
What method do you use to delete the event? (steps)

OP
R
Reaction score
I highlight the event, hit the delete key on the keyboard, select "Delete all future events", select "Delete and don't notify" - at which point my "Mail" icon starts to bounce up and down - I go to Mail and it tells me that it can't send an email it has created addressed to "unknown", I hit "edit", go to the email and close it, and select "Do not save" - I still hvae two copies of the event showing...

Gary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, when I do that, I get a choice to Delete All, and when I click it, the events just go away.

Go here:
/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/
Move this file
com.apple.iCal.plist
to the Desktop.

Go into iCal. This will make a new plist file in Preferences.
Test it. What happens?

OP
R
Reaction score
As suggested, I moved the file to the desktop and restarted iCal - nothing has changed. This problem is causing issues with me Mail program also; I've been unable to send emails to some addresses.

I wonder if I should go shopping for another calendar app; iCal seems unfixable...

Gary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wait a minute. iCal works for thousands of users, and it worked for you as well. It may not be a pleasant thought, but something you did has caused a problem. It's probably not "unfixable", but the solution is eluding us. It's not clear to me why you think the Mail problem is related. But, both are part of the basic installation of your OS. Perhaps a reinstall would fix both problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Are you syncing iCal with MobileMe or Google or something like that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
As suggested, I moved the file to the desktop and restarted iCal - nothing has changed. This problem is causing issues with me Mail program also; I've been unable to send emails to some addresses.

I wonder if I should go shopping for another calendar app; iCal seems unfixable...

Gary

Oh and nothing with iCal would stop you from sending email to some recipients, it's impossible so that's a different issue.

OP
R
Reaction score
I only sync my iCal to my iPhone, via iTunes.

the reason I associated the mail problems is that, when I try to delete the duplicated calendar entry, iCal insists on trying to send a notification, even though I have no one on my invitee list.

A new email is opened, addressed to "unknown", with a prompt saying "Cannot send message using server XXXX". Right after seeing this, I started getting the same prompt with actual emails I tried to send, only a few of them, though. This is why I've associated the email problem with iCal.

As I look at the three instances of my repeating event, I see that two of them have an invitee named "unknown" - I don't know where it came from. I've removed the invitee from the list a few times, but it reappears.

I had major computer problems a few weeks ago, and the culprit proved to be defective RAM. The RAM was replaced and the OS was reinstalled at that time. The problem with iCal existed before the reinstallation, and continues after.

That's all I know,

Gary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright, log in under a different user name. If you don't have one, create one for this exercise. Then try iCal from that account and tell us what happens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.