OS X didn't ask for admin password

Reaction score
I'm hoping for a little insight...So today I installed Skype on my MBP and after the installation was complete I realized that it never asked for my administrator password. Does anyone have any ideas about why this happened (or didn't happen)?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You were not asked for your admin password any time during the process of un packaging and moving it to Applications?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You may not need to enter it if you're user has administrator privileges. I rarely get asked for admin privileges when moving files in and out of /Applications (once in a while I will but I suspect that is because of the privileges on particular files).

Is your user the admin on your machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Installing an application with the admin account doesn't actually prompt you for your password unless that application is trying to access system files, either to embed itself or modify existing files. Applications and the system are fairly well quarantined in OS X, so if you are already the admin account, then it will only prompt you in situations where your action would modify system files.

OP
bmac_17
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. That explains it because I was logged on as admin. I appreciate the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Any time. Some programs do require access to the system's file structure, especially Adobe apps, but for the most part, they won't. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.