• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple tops the consumer charts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Apple is on top of things this year, again, with according to new polls set by PCWorld.
Read the 6 survey results, varying from computer's to tv's here:
The Tech Brands You Can Trust - PCWorld

I have to say, some of the results didn't surprise me much, but I have to ask, are HP's and Dells really that bad? I mean, Both of my hp's(desktop/laptop) have had serious problems...but...I just didn't think they were THAT bad!
I'm also surprised that lenovo didn't do better, as well as toshiba tv's.

Also, I like reading all the comments on each board. Especially those claiming PCWorld to be biased towards apple, even though all other results show the same thing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What surprised me was how well T-Mobile did in the wireless category. I never expected to see that thinking Verizon would be the one to come out on top.

Reaction score
Psh..Lenovo? You're kidding me right? Those computers I've seen nothing BUT problems. HP..not so much. Dell…not a whole lot. My Mom has had an HP desktop since 2004 running Windows XP. Not bad for a computer, until the back USB ports stopped working. We bought a new one for her. HP's laptops though are just..junk. I've had trackpad failures, function key failures and screen issues and HP never once tried to repair the issues- it was a go-around with Customer Service. Dell on the other hand, my Dad has two laptops from them, still working fine. I guess it all depends on luck, but the fact that HP wouldn't repair nor replace it…baloney. And the function key issues are still there despite what HP told me to do. The "fix" blue screened the computer.

I'm glad I have a MacBook. Zero problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
PCWorld reliability survey: Apple 'smoked the competition'

PCWorld reliability survey: Apple 'smoked the competition'
AppleInsider | PCWorld reliability survey: Apple 'smoked the competition'
PCWorld this week released the results of its annual Reliability and Service Survey, and Apple won handily in the desktop, notebook and smartphone categories.
The article also said this:
"Can Apple do no wrong?" the publication said. "Indeed, 2010 was a remarkable year for the world's highest-valued tech company."
I don't like people talking about Apple this way. That tends to give Apple a god complex. Like they are always perfect and anything they do will be a success. And then complacency will creep in and the product quality will drop.

Apple like everyone still need that fear of failure. That will always drive them to make sure they have the best products on the market. Without it and things will not be as good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" AL 2.93 GHz Intel C2D - SSD, HDD external, OS X 10.7, 4 GB Ram
It sames when you are on top the news media (all forms) are on your side and willing to give you some great press.

But, always remember it only take one big mistake to bring your world crashing down. . .Windows Vista.

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.
This clearly shows us that what makes Apple-products so sucessfull is their ease of use. By making user-friendly products you sure are going to sell a lot because most people will be able to use your products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
It sames when you are on top the news media (all forms) are on your side and willing to give you some great press.

But, always remember it only take one big mistake to bring your world crashing down. . .Windows Vista.

And Windows ME and The Kin, and The Zune (kind of) and the W7 Mobile Platform (if you believe the press).

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Psh..Lenovo? You're kidding me right? Those computers I've seen nothing BUT problems.

Unfortunately, I have never met a person who had a problem with Lenovos. I even got one for my cousin some time ago...it's been fine. It's one of the few computers I would trust with my money.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I skimmed over many of the comments on the site, and those people whining about Apple coming out on top have some pretty lame arguments.

I really dont understand why people are so up about apple. it doesn't run any of the game i play, it doesn't run any of the software i use.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
haha...I read that too and laughed. IMO, no argument related to gaming is a good one when talking about what computer is better...or at least I'm not immature enough. But that's just me.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Merged threads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I always get a kick out of the comments too. People get so worked up over this stuff. Seems like every hobby or interest group has a crowd that likes to play the "no one wins unless someone loses" game. I think the new aphorism for the 2000's should be "Never become dragged into an argument about politics, religion or computers."

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Using my experiences to make a judgment, I have absolutely no idea how Canon was a winner and HP was a loser. My last HP printer took a beating and ultimately died but I was impressed with how well it worked until the end. My current Canon printer sucks bad the toner like it was a man in a desert. I would much rather use an HP printer than a Canon.

C

chas_m

If you look at the results closely, HP and Dell's *business* lines didn't do so bad, but their average overall was bogged down by their *terrible* "consumer" line.

And even THAT is at least partially MS's fault, because everyone knows MS's home versions (which would come with these machines) are crap.

But basically, the entire summary can be summarized thus: Buy Apple. If you absolutely refuse to buy Apple, you're nuts. But if you still insist, and don't want ASUS, then pay the extra money for HP and Dell's business products.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I've never had good luck with HP printers. All of them broke down over time. I've had 2 canons, one of them had a chip read error, the other one had ink that was more expensive than the printer(no wonder they gave them out for free), I've never had any problem with Epsons. Now I have a new Epson NX420, and is real nice. It's the best all-in-one printer that I've had so far, that can do everything, has less than 9 dollar ink cartridges, and has a wifi network built in. I'm forever done with HP...no matter what it is!

Reaction score
In my experience, HP's inkjet lines have been ridiculous. We end up spending more than $13 on ink, and the printer goes through them like a Hummer does on gas. I bought a Canon printer. Cheap ink, does what it should (it's an all-in-one). Heard some good things about Epson. Lexmark though is horrible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
If we are using personal experience - I bought a HP all in one. It burned through ink and lasted a year. The first print of the day was always a paper jam - without fail. After just 1 year something went wrong with the alignment and I kept getting fuzzy prints. The Canon printer it replaced is was used by me for 5 years before without any problems. What does this show? a sample size of 1 really doesn't tell you anything.

chas_m hits the nail right on the head. Consumer versions of windows laptops are made with marshmallows and chicken wire and have an OS that doesn't allow you to do network backups. That was the purpose of this thread
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/218289-objective-cost-comparison-mac-vs-pc.html
Macs usually compare to business lines of PCs in quality and it is why I don't recommend consumer line Windows laptops.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's really quite interesting how everyone has had such different experiences (except for printers where it seems like I am the only one here who likes HP). The Canon I have now isn't bad but the ink sure isn't cheap so I have no idea what printers you guys are using.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.