Trouble with "places" in finder's sidebar

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having some trouble with the Finder Sidebar. Whenever I logout the sidebar resets to its default stage. I'm tired of this since I like to have some folders under the Places section, but they never stay after logging out. It doesn't matter if I drag the actual folder or its alias to the places section, they always disappear.

In the past it was working excellent but recently (about 2-3 months from now) I started with this problem.

Anyone knows a way to solve this issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It could be that your Finder plist is corrupt. Go here: HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences and move this file: com.apple.finder.plist to your Desktop.
Restart the computer. This will make a new Finder plist file with default settings.
Report your result here.

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok, so I moved com.apple.finder.plist to my Desktop, restarted and the file generated again after reboot.

Any further steps?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The file is supposed to regenerate after reboot... a new default finder .plst!
From there you need to put what you want under places again, reboot and see if the changes are sticking now after rebooting.

OP
S
Reaction score
After the finder .plist regeneration, still the sidebar resets after reboot. What else could be corrupted?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
hmmm, this I don't know.
If it's not working though, to save the headache of endless troubleshooting, I would create a new admin account and see if the same behaviour happens in the newly created account.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well it doesn't. In a new admin account, sidebar stays as I want. Man, it is such a pain to move my preferences and docs over to the new account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well we at least know that there is a corrupt preference there somewhere in your admin account.
Maybe someone will come along with a fix shortly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well we at least know that there is a corrupt preference there somewhere in your admin account.
Maybe someone will come along with a fix shortly.

Try com.apple.systemui.plist (system user interface) instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I only have com.apple.systemuiserver.plist I assume this isn't normal.

That's the one. Perfectly normal. I was going on memory alone, and forgot the "server" part.

OP
S
Reaction score
It didn't change a thing. I still have the problem.

Finally I decided to migrate all my files and preferences to a new admin account. At least I know this account does not have any corrupt plist and works perfect with the sidebar.

Anyways, thanks for your assistance guys. I'm glad you were there to help ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.