Free hosts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
I wana change my web host so I am looking for other free ones.

I currently have angelfire, but they have way too many adds.

Any sugestions? :biohazard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
www.brinkster.com they have adds, not pop-ups atleast not on my accounts. They usually just have a small line of text that says "web hosting by brinkster" and I mean its tiny, hardly noticeable. Sometimes they do have a small banner at the top of pages, but its not a pop-up. If you need a site builder they have one, but its not very good. If you just do html you should be ok.

The free accounts are kind of hard to find on their page, but when you go there look for the educational package, its the free one.

a web page I have with them is this www.outubas.cjb.net, those are the adds they put on mine and we have an educational package. the cjb.net add is because of the url redirection I use.

OP
macEfan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dude,i did get a popup :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PB G4
walagata.com is good

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Any with FTP upload?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
macEfan said:
dude,i did get a popup :(

Seriously? I never get them from there, even on my PC.

OP
macEfan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PunkRockTuba said:
Seriously? I never get them from there, even on my PC.

Do U have a popup blocker installed?

BTW I waz Using my PC that day anyway so I don't really care if it get infested w/ spyware. :)

Macs are soo much easier to maintain!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You know there are also extremely low cost monthly hosting plans out there that you may want to look into. I use Dreamhost and love them.

OP
macEfan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, but I am sooo on a budget :(

B

bhanson

macEfan said:
Thanks, but I am sooo on a budget :(

Dreamhost was running a special for about $9~ for a year of their hosting. Although not free, it works out to something like 2.5 cents a day? I bet you blow that without even thinking about it. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac no more - Sony Vaio FZ4000
bhanson said:
Dreamhost was running a special for about $9~ for a year of their hosting. Although not free, it works out to something like 2.5 cents a day? I bet you blow that without even thinking about it. ;)

I think you mean $9.95 per month, not year. And if you don't pre-pay for the year then you have to pay a one-time setup fee of $49.95 right away.

B

bhanson

dstopsky said:
I think you mean $9.95 per month, not year. And if you don't pre-pay for the year then you have to pay a one-time setup fee of $49.95 right away.

No, I said what I said, I looked it back up again. Dreamhost was running a promotional special for $9.24/yr with a free domain registration. It had 2.4GB of space and 120GB of bandwidth.

Although bad news for the OP, the deal is now dead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bhanson said:
Dreamhost was running a promotional special for $9.24/yr with a free domain registration. It had 2.4GB of space and 120GB of bandwidth.
Too good to be true. When I looked this morning I didn't see any such deal. I think your eyes were playing tricks on you, cause I've never seen any company running a special even close to that deal.

But then again, I have been wrong once before....

B

bhanson

dstopsky said:
Too good to be true. When I looked this morning I didn't see any such deal. I think your eyes were playing tricks on you, cause I've never seen any company running a special even close to that deal.

But then again, I have been wrong once before....

My Corrective Lenses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bhanson said:
I wouldn't call that a "special" that they are/were running. Unless you actually know to the special code or to search for it then it's not an advertised deal. Like I said before, I haven't seen any companies advertising any deals close to that, including Dreamhost. Either way, it's irrellevant if you're right in them no longer doing the deal. The OP would still need to pay a lot more than free, which is what he is looking for.

B

bhanson

dstopsky said:
I wouldn't call that a "special" that they are/were running. Unless you actually know to the special code or to search for it then it's not an advertised deal. Like I said before, I haven't seen any companies advertising any deals close to that, including Dreamhost. Either way, it's irrellevant if you're right in them no longer doing the deal. The OP would still need to pay a lot more than free, which is what he is looking for.

I would call it a special, it sure isn't "normal". The code wasn't reserved for an "elite" group or anything, it was widely available on the web with a search for "dreamhost", and you ARE researching a host before you host with them, right? (The code was 777 by the way.)

Oh, and for the OP. I got in on the deal with 1and1 about a year ago for which their promotion was three free years of free hosting on their professional plan. I haven't used it at all (I pay moderate prices for quality hosting) but if I can dig up the details then you're more than welcome to have my account if it's transferrable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.