Ibook problem

Reaction score
I did a solder repair on my power plug, it won't reboot now, the screen lights up but all I get is a folder Icon with ?/finder icon. When I striped the machine I did it by direction found on the Metcalf site striped it down to the chassie when I removed the top cover the directions said to pull the ram out. I believe I was discharged and I didn't do an physical harm to the machine soldering was done out of the machine the only thing unplugged was the top cover plugs the ram and the power plug. I just need to make it work long enough to retrieve some files that's what I wanted to do the day I found the plug problem. It charges great now but won't start. Thanx!:Grimmace: Tom

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just need to make it work long enough to retrieve some files that's what I wanted to do the day I found the plug problem. It charges great now but won't start. Thanx!:Grimmace: Tom

If this is all you need...then remove the iBooks hard drive...install it into a $5.99 external hard drive case, and retrieve your files by plugging the external hard drive into a 2nd computer.

HTH,

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with Pigoo, but if you want to take it apart again, did you possibly kink the ribbon cable to the hard drive or is maybe it not plugged in all the way?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 15.2" 1.67Ghz HR
It seems like you took the necessary precautions before soldering. Just my opinion (based on some experience though), but it sounds like the HD cable isn't properly seated. If it boots to the question mark, your iBook is telling you that it can't find a bootable hard drive. Depending on which iBook you have, you may need to also check the ribbon connector that attaches to the mobo.

OP
M
Reaction score
I was thinking I might tear it down again and have a look I am ordering a "HD case" tonight just to have but I may end up using it for this anyway. Thanx for the help. Tom

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was thinking I might tear it down again and have a look I am ordering a "HD case" tonight just to have but I may end up using it for this anyway. Thanx for the help. Tom

Yeah...those iBooks are a REAL pain to open up...but you gotta do what you gotta do!;)

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
It really doesn't sound like a fatal problem. Like others have been saying, it sounds like the ribbon cable isn't connected properly, so it can't boot from the HD.

OP
M
Reaction score
OK Ibook up and running, ribbon cable loose, just like most everyone said. So I tried to reboot holding the t key down to shuttle info across a fire wire and nothing happened. Can anyone help me, I just want my files moved out of that pooter.Thanx T.

HELP

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.