Upgrade Win 7 Home Premium running on bootcamp to Windows 7 Professional

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have installed Windows 7 Home Premium on my iMac using bootcamp. I have 2 queries which I hope you could help me with.

1. Can I upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional using Windows Anytime Upgrade kit? Or do I need to remove Windows 7 Home Premium and get myself a full version of Windows 7 Professional and reinstall on bootcamp?

2. After I install Windows 7 Professional on bootcamp, will the XP mode work?

Anyone has any experience with this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Answer to both is yes. You do not have to remove Home Premium in order to upgrade.

Make sure you backup your Home Premium version first before upgrading to Pro. Use the Win 7 backup to image option provided. You'll need an external hard drive formatted to NTFS in order to do that. That's what I recommend as it's the safest way in case the upgrade goes blooey.

And... be real careful during the upgrade process that you do not overwrite your OS X partition! Make a backup of your OS X partition just in case.

Also note that after Pro is installed, the XP mode is run from a VM within Pro.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.