Spyware

Reaction score
Hello Forum,

I am a relatively new Mac user.

I would like some information regarding spyware removal and virus scanning for Mac.

Some suspicious activity occurred on my Gmail account, and I would just like to be safer than sorry.

I have read articles other places and in this forum that talk about how Macs usually don't have the issues for viruses and spyware due to the fact that these malwares are not usually programmed for Macs, however I do, on occasion, visit adult websites, and fear that I may have picked something up along the way.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to programs for freeware malware scanners?

Also, if I plan on using Parallels in the future with Windows, can someone explain to me how I would go about protecting the computer from Windows viruses? Since Parallels is integrated with Mac OS, if I get a virus while using Parallels, will it infect the Mac OS as well? Should I just use a Windows virus/ malware scanner with Parallels?

Thank you and regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Many member ask the question about viruses and malware on the Mac and in addition to using the search function at the top of the forum, you'll find almost all your answers here:

Official Antivirus and Firewall FAQ

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.