• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What Is This Material Called?

Reaction score
I'm looking for this kind of material because I know it's super soft and could never scratch anything. It's like this fiber-ish white material that resembles a thin layer of malleable styrofoam, though I don't know the technical name of it. Here are some visual examples of what it looks like.

It is used by many manufacturers of electronics, like Nintendo with their DSi's. This DSi was just taken out of its bag that is shown below the DSi (Note: the layer shown on the exterior of the bag is a plastic-like surface that is on top of the soft fiberish material that I want. It was the softer, inner portion of this bag the DSi was touching).

styro1.png

Same with Macbooks too. A lot of them come in this soft material so that they don't get marked by harder substances (i.e. stuff that are plastic and whatnot).

styro2.png

The reason I'm wondering is, I own electronic products but it's been years since I bought them and some of their original packaging materials are gone, and I want to be able to re-pack them as best as I can when I move out, which is most likely happening later. So I want to use this material to wrap most of my stuff up when they get shipped. I want to cause them the least damage as possible.

It's not so much about shock-absorbency, either. I think bubble wrap takes care of that. It's about keeping them unmarked and unscratched, which this material will work perfectly for.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Expanded Polypropylene is what you might be looking for.

OP
M
Reaction score
Trouble Searching

Why am I having trouble finding a place to buy this stuff?

From my searching, I stumbled upon forms of this I never saw before, like propylene chairs, random plastics or thick styrofoam sheets but I was looking specifically for the thin white soft material we see in our product packaging.

I'd be amazed if this stuff was not allowed to be bought by the public! :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
WHere i go to get stuff like that is Storage Places ..... Where you go and hire a Storage place and in the office they sell Styrofoam, Bubblewrap, Loose Styrofoam pieces, and airbags ???
Best option i can offer ?? Dont know where ya from but i can get it in similar places here in Australia

OP
M
Reaction score
So far

Found these at Office Depot: Office Depot Micro Foam Packing Sheets 12 x 12 Pack Of 100 by Office Depot

Surprised they don't sell them in bigger. They're just 1 feet squared.

By the way I found the name of the material (poly-propylene was a broader term) it's microfoam I'm looking for. No surprise actually. Almost anything with "micro" preceding it doesn't scratch anything, like microfiber, which I use to clean my stuff.

I wish there was somewhere I can buy microfoam sheet rolls from (that are at least 1 feet by many many for feet, hence a roll). There's got to be a place? That isn't like a Chinese website or involving an awkward method of online shopping.

Well here's another one: http://www.rpconline.com/Polyethylene-Foam-Rolls_c_411.html

Jesus Christ at the prices.

If only they were selling ones with 100-200 feet I'd pay for that because that would be between 50 and a hundred dollars which I'm willing to dish out.

They're smallest length is frickin 550 feet. ***?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
WOW not cheap is it :(

Why i personally like to go into a STORE to look at this sort of thing. From a chinese web site god know what you could be purchasing

Good luck with it all and thanks for posting back what you have found :)

OP
M
Reaction score
WOW not cheap is it :(

Why i personally like to go into a STORE to look at this sort of thing. From a chinese web site god know what you could be purchasing

Good luck with it all and thanks for posting back what you have found :)
Thanks and you're welcome.

So you know of a store it can be bought from? Can you name the store and I know you're in Australia but it doesn't hurt to ask.

They sell them at Office Depot here in America problem is like the link above says, it's just 12 feet by 12 feet which is not enough say to cover a desktop PC, CRT monitor, big glass mirror, some poster frames I have etc. that the size won't cover. :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So you know of a store it can be bought from? Can you name the store and I know you're in Australia but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Hmmm l know of places here. Office works, Bunnings, Clarke Rubber and Storage Places .....

Nothing that will be the same in the US but any BIG hardware stores or Walmart or BestBuy from what i have heard about those stores should sell something like it ?? Its the best i can offer mate. If you lived here i could buy you some in less than 10minutes from where i live :9
Doesnt help you out though does it lol

OP
M
Reaction score
Call me crazy but is there anyway you can get this stuff in the form of gloves??? I would absolutely love having to deal with delicates with this kind of material to prevent hand sweat from dirtying/nails from scratching.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
If anyone knew, they would post. It won't help to bump.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac duce core and a 15" I7 MBP
try this stuff

try grainger.com and mcmastercarr.com, they sell

Foam,Polyethylene
Item # 5ZX27
Polyethylene Foam, Bubble Height 1/8 Inch, Roll Length 175 Feet, Roll Width 12 Inches
PACTIV
2085 Usually ships
While Stock Lasts 1
$46.75
Clearance
$42.08
Add to Personal List Quantity More Info

Pouches, Polyfoam, PK 275
Item # 4TU75
Polypropylene Foam Fill, Low Density Foam Pouches, Thickness 1/8 In, Resistant To Abrasion, Length 9 In, Width 6 In, Package Quantity 275
PACTIV
AF1
2085 Usually ships
1-3 Days 1
$60.70

Bubble Wrap Bags,Sealable,PK 50
Item # 1HAK5
Bubble Wrap Bags, Sealable, Length 8 1/2 In, Width 7 In, Carton Length 15 7/8 In, Carton Width 9 5/8 In, Carton Height 10 In, Bubble Height 3/16 In
PREGIS
0760-0700316
2086 Usually ships
While Stock Lasts 1
$16.89
Clearance
$11.02

Bubble Roll,HP,1/2,12 In x 50 Ft
Item # 5VEW7
Bubble Roll,HP,1/2,12 In x 50 Ft
APPROVED VENDOR
5VEW7
N/A Usually ships
Today 1
$19.79

Polypropylene Foam,Roll Length 450 Ft
Item # 1HAY6
Polypropylene Foam, Roll Length 450 Ft, Roll Width 24 In, Perforation Increments 12 In, Thickness 1/8 In
PREGIS
0760-2500339
2085 Usually ships
Today 1
$91.80

Corrugated Wrap,W 24 In,L 250 Ft.
Item # 3EVP2
Corrugated Wrap, Single Face, Roll Length 250 Ft, Roll Width 24 In, Paper Material, Brown
SCHWARZ
0760-1450048
2085 Usually ships
Today 1
$50.10
Select
Items to Grainger Item # and Description Compliance
& Notes Brand &
Model # Catalog
Page # Availability Ship
Quantity Price
Protective Packaging - 500 products found Showing 1 - 5 of 32 pagesShow products per page 1 2 3 4 5 | > Next
Sort by:Change Display:Go to page:
**The "Usually Ships" reflects when an item is generally expected to ship from Grainger based on its stocking location. Real-time availability information will be shown during the checkout process and on the e-mail order confirmation (for U.S. and Puerto Rico - US customers only). Please allow additional delivery time for international orders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Polypropylene Foam Fill, Low Density Foam Pouches, Thickness 1/8 In, Resistant To Abrasion, Length 9 In, Width 6 In, Package Quantity 275
Grainger Item # 4TU75
Price (pk.) $60.70
Package Qty. 275
Brand PACTIV
Mfr. Model # AF1
Ship Qty. 1
Sell Qty. (Will-Call) 1
Ship Weight (lbs.) 4.2
Usually Ships** 1-3 Days
Catalog Page No. 2085
Country of Origin
(Country of Origin is subject to change.) USA
Enlarge Image

Reaction score
Go to the mac book section of the forums and ask for everyone's screen guard sheet of this stuff. I thew mine away but i probably should have held on to it huh :S

OP
M
Reaction score
Um...you're talking about a screen protector for a macbook?

I need gloves dude, uber soft ones (ones that would never, every scratch).

I believe it has to be softer than cotton...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
try a beauty supply store. They sell very soft gloves that women wear while sleeping.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.