• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Monitor that matches the Apple Cinema display

Reaction score
what is the closest monitor w/o having to spend the apple price??? using it with a mbp and with final cut pro

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This is about as close as you'll come I believe......

UltraSharp U2711 69cm (27?W) Monitor with PremierColor Details

Great suggestion...but unless you can find the Dell monitor on sale...the Dell monitor & Apple Cinema Display are both $999.

@OP: I totally understand how Apple monitors can be VERY expensive. Remember when shopping...that the 27" Apple Cinema display also has:

- a universal MagSafe connector that charges your notebook
- a Mini DisplayPort cable for easy connectivity
- three USB 2.0 ports
- a built-in iSight camera
- microphone
- 49-watt speaker system

$999 is a pretty "hefty" price tag...but you're not going to find many 27" monitors with an IPS panel, all of the features mentioned above, and a 2560-by-1440 resolution...for much less than $999.

The 27" Dell monitor & the 27" Apple monitor are pretty much the only players.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
hmm- lets reword this then... what is the best suggestion for an editing monitor around the $300-$400 mark- does it exist?

Reaction score
If I had to pick my first choice is usually an NEC followed by a Samsung Syncmaster or Dell Ultrasharp model. Any one of them is a good choice. My general recommendation is go with IPS panels, they are the best. To keep it under $400 you need to stick with 23" models.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm- lets reword this then... what is the best suggestion for an editing monitor around the $300-$400 mark- does it exist?

Maybe I'm not familiar with the term "editing monitor"...so maybe you can explain what specifics that entails. But I'm assuming it's something to do with the best color accuracy or color reproduction. If so...like "ukchucktown" mentioned...definitely get a monitor with an IPS display panel.

Since not that many computer monitors are made with an IPS panel (more expensive)...this will narrow down the choices significantly.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks for the ips suggestion... i doubt "editing monitor" is a term, but i was using it to me just what you said- color accuracy for color correction editing/grading

OP
J
Reaction score
liking this one alot based on some other people's suggestions, but i am not real sure what type of adapter i will need for it:
Dell U2311H
or, basically the same monitor for a bit less money due to a bit less size:
Dell u2211h

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
For color accuracy film/video pros use very expensive & calibrated reference monitors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
To the OP rule number one:-

Cheap does not equate with quality pure and simple. Buy the Apple display of your choice. You will consider anything else as second best and become more and more dissatisfied as time goes by.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheap does not equate with quality pure and simple.

I with you Harry! If "quality & cheap" went together...then there would be no room for lower quality items (unless they were giving them away for free)!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.