View (but not change) passwords of non-admin users

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First off, i'm not sure if this is the right place to post this -- my apologies if it's not (in which case someone can rebuke me and transfer it).

Anyway, i am the administrative user on our iMac running Mac OS X (10.6.5 to be more specific), and i let my kids use it as well. What i want to know is this: How can i view the current passwords of non-admin users (i.e., my kids)? (And in case someone is worried about backhanded, secretive, or downright manipulative parenting, please don't worry --- this is merely an ability that i think would come in handy sometime in the future).

I know that i can reset non-admin passwords and set new ones and all that -- i'm decently proficient with macs -- but that would defy the point: i want to be able to view the password without the user knowing. I know on windoze pc's this is as easy as pie (merely finding the file that stores it and using rainbow charts or somebody's simple program to view it)... Anyway i would think this would be under parental controls --- but lo and behold it AIN'T!

Any help is appreciated; thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm not so sure you can, that would be a pretty huge security issue.

If you don't trust the kids, make them give you their passwords. You don't have to use them, but they'd know you have them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The long and the short of it is, the password is not stored anywhere on the computer. Only the hash is. In simple terms, the computer does not know what the password is, only how to determine if it is correct.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Log in with root access (command S at start up), and navigate to the appropriate system file, and use less to read it, you can then decrypt the hash. There is also stuff like OphCrack

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your prompt responses!

DarkestRitual -- I've had some experience with OphCrack awhile ago, but didn't know it had a version for macs. Thanks for the tip, i think i'll give that a shot first.

McYukon -- Thanks for the link. I'm fairly familiar with basic terminal stuff so i'll probably give it a try.

And don't worry schweb, i have the utmost trust in my kids so i simply like to respect their privacy in certain aspects. There was a PTA meeting recently, and it was mentioned that we should be able to access our kids computers (or rather accounts) in the event of safety concerns.

Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.