MBP won't turn on after battery drain

Reaction score
Hi all. I just bought an new battery, partially to solve this problem, partially because my last battery was shot!

I have a 2007 model MBP. When the battery drains, and I plug it into my charger, it takes ~10 minutes to turn back on. It's incredibly annoying, actually, when I need instant access to my computer.

I know this is a common problem because I've seen postings on this all over the internet, but not a SINGLE solution.

Any suggestions? (It's definitely not my battery nor my charger, since they have both been controlled for in testing.)
:Not-Amused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I know this is a common problem because I've seen postings on this all over the internet, but not a SINGLE solution.
Not a common issue that I've heard of, yet alone seen on the forums!

(It's definitely not my battery nor my charger, since they have both been controlled for in testing.)

What do you mean by the above!

Is it a genuine Apple battery or a cheap ebay battery?

Have you reset the SMC.
Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Now seeing your other post "MBP - White screen after wake", seems like this is more than just a battery or charger issue, and I would be making an appointment with Apple Genius bar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is not really ideal to drain the battery, are you turning off your MBP or just letting it into sleep mode if so this would affect your MBP hardware it would be much better if you let it check to really know what the problem is

I really don't understand what you are saying here other than
It is not really ideal to drain the battery

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
There's nothing wrong with "draining" ones battery. In fact, it is recommended to do so once every month or other month in order to calibrate it. You let it drain to the point of getting the warning, then let it completely die. Plug back in and let charge until full. It is said that it's safe to use while recharging as well. This is documented by Apple support.

I've had the same issue as the OP, and this particular MBP has had its logic board replaced and a new battery put in (about 6 months ago?) because of prior issues with the older battery not getting a charge. The new LB and Battery are ok thus far, I think... but I do recall not too long ago, having the battery die on me while the MBP was sleeping of all things, and even as I charged it, the thing wouldn't turn back on for quite some time.

I too wonder what this indicates. One thing I know for sure, is that the MBP does NOT turn on if there is no battery attached. They designed it this way, for reasons I don't quite understand, but that's how it is. So if the battery is the sole power source, it does kind of make sense for it to take a little bit before the battery is ready to output while it's still drawing a charge.

Someone correct me if I'm off on that.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.